Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
For the last 6 months or so I have not been crazy about the production of my skimmer. It just was not hardly putting out enough skimate. The problem was that it was just not producing enough bubbles.
The skimmer is a 5' venturi model built by "Urchin Searchin Ent."
I can't complain to the manufacturer because I own the company.
(No I don't sell skimmers anymore)
The skimmer uses two water pumps and two air pumps. It uses air pumps because of the five foot height it can't pull in air with just the venturi valve.
I am kind of busy so every once in a while I would tinker with a different part to try to fix it. I removed the home made venturi valve and found a large amphipod stuck in it. Removing that helped, but the thing still had very poor action. A few weeks later I opened the venturi again to find another large amphipod. Again I thought I found the problem, but not really.
Some time went by and I re built the both air pumps. They put out what seemed like a lot of air but I could not tell if it was really enough, I tested the preasure which was fine.
That helped very slightly. The thing was really working like a wimp. This skimmer is old, how old? I don't remember, thats how old.
But it is probably older than many members here.
A few days ago I removed the venturi valve and tweeked the design. That actually made it worse.
I had some time today and was looking closely at the collection cup and heard a slight HHHHHHHHIIIIIIISSSSSSS.
Aha. Of course a ten cent tubing coupling had a hair line crack in it.
Stupid, stupid, stupid. I am very mad at myself and should have checked that thing first. Now I am sure I am getting senile. And I would be the first to tell someone, check the easy things first.
The thing is working so well now that the hermit crabs are dancing.
I think they will be on "Dancing with the Crabs" next season
IMG_0460.jpg

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: