• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

S

steveo32

Is it possible to make a diy mh set up. Not meaning buying the retro kits or any like that i mean buying the ballasts from like a electrical supply store. I looked up buying retros and ballasts from liek champion lighting but thats still too expensive for me. So if I could get the stuff from a supply store do I just ask for a metal halide ballast and a vho ballast ? I know i should just save and buy a fixture but I'm impatient and can't wait plus i like making stuff lol

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
Most local places dont sell VHO or MH ballasts. You'd really have to do some searching. Then you'd have to figure out what MH bulbs are compatible with the ballast that you do get. If its not one of the normal names, you might run into problems just trying to match bulb and ballast.

Whats your budget? We could probably help you put together a retro kit.
-Kris

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
347   0   0
My budget is like next to nuttin right now but let me know what you have in mind

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
i found a diy retro for like 135.00 brand new with a electronic ballast. from hellolights.com i dont no if thats the one Kris posted here. with the ballast and everything u need thats next to nothing for mh ballast, reflector, socket and wiring.. all u gotta do is find a good bulb.. unless u find someone selling a kit or something on here used...

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
yeah I'm looking and its still like 700 + well I guess i have to keep on waiting

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
steveo32 said:
well i have a 125 so I need 3 250's and 2 vho's.

Assuming its a 6ft tank. If the VHO's have to be 6ft then that kit that I linked you won't do the job.

Lets see if you you got with magnectic ballasts thats
3 x $51.00 = $153.00
Spider light reflectors
3 x $30.00 = $90.00
Wiring stuff for the MH
3 x $5.00= $15.00
Then your bulbs
3 x $55 = $165.00
So thats $423.00

You could do without the VHO's for a while and just go with the MH. All the prices came from www.hellolights.com
-Kris

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
347   0   0
i might do that or just wait because I have a nice pc setup going on and i really don't have many corals in the tank now as it is soo idk. It's just so frustrating to want things. Damm tank lol with the money I spent on it my 55 would have been packed !!!!

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
steveo32 said:
i might do that or just wait because I have a nice pc setup going on and i really don't have many corals in the tank now as it is soo idk. It's just so frustrating to want things. Damm tank lol with the money I spent on it my 55 would have been packed !!!!

LMAOO!! I know the feeling... I made so many mistakes i lost count:smokin: :yeah:

S

steveo32

Rating - 100%
347   0   0
well i got 455.88 with the 15k bulbs. i wanted the 14k' but from hamilton there too much which isn't bad at all but I still don't even have the money for that lol. I got get some cash

nanoreefer22

Live Sale Pioneer
Staff member
Rating - 100%
347   0   0
You might want to look into the Reeflux bulbs or EVC. They're 10K but burn in really nice. Not sure if the EVC can run on magnectic ballast though. I've got the Reeflux 10k's on magnetic ballast, you're more than welcome to come check it out if your ever in brooklyn.
Before that, are you going for the blue blue look or the crisp white with a hint of blue?
Bulbs are really preference of color temps. Gotta like how your tank looks :D

derm

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
6   1   0
i have a dual 400 watt ballast for two bulbs made by my friend who is a elactrician and im selling for 50 buxs or willing to trade for corals

S

steveo32

Rating - 85.7%
6   1   0
Ok will a "core and coil " ballast work ?
I asked the electrical supply guy and he said that it would be the same as the advance magnetic m58/h37 ballast. is that good or bad ?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: