Henry

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have just got a Elos ns 500 and I need som information how to adjust it.
The skimmer have a valve for adjusting the water flow from the pump into the skimmer.
The air into the injector, and the outlet valve.
What is the best procedure to adjust it?
And what is the correct water level? and is the skimmer sensible to it?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
With the eheim 1250 i'd do air open all the way, maybe even take the valve off, just leave the silencer on. If you don't have a silencer get one.
On the valve coming off the skimmer body, and the valve coming off the pump going into the skimmer try wide open also. You want the water level inside the skimmer at or just above or below the base/bottom of the collection cup. Closing the valve from the pump will lower the water level. Closing the valve coming out of the skimmer will make it higher.

Few notes.

If the skimmer is new you likely won't see any skimmate (what gets collected in the cup) being collected until the skimmer is broken in. A week or 3.

You want the skimmate to be dark brown like coffee with no milk. Lowering the water level in the skimmer should make it darker. Too low and you won't collect anything.

Make sure the end of the air hose that is sucking in air is higher than the top of the skimmer to avoid water from coming out instead of air going in.

If you can get the air hose to outside your ph, c02, and noise level will be better. But if that will take major doing it's not worth the effort.

Would also take out the foam pad that's likely on the eheim's intake.

Each time you make an adjustment to a valve to get the desired water level inside the skimmer, make small adjustment and give it a half hour or so to see what it's going to do before you re-adjust.

Your salinity level will effect the amount and size of the bubbles inside the skimmer. Higher salt equals more bubbles.

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: