Relz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   1
Okay so I cut my osmolator tubing to size for my previous 80g set up which I had over the top of the tank into the overflow. Worked well not issue. Now trying to set up a 150 the tubing is too short to do the same. I tried running directly from reservoir to sump but after the pump turns off it continues to slowing drip water into the sump.

Any pics or ideas on how to safely handle this issue? Tubing doesn't appear readily available do to I believe metric sizing and I definitely don't want to flood my sump.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Well it seems as if your tube outlet is at water level or lower than the water level in your reservoir. Its causing a siphon. You need to raise your tube oulet higher above your reservoir level. Than what i did to prevent splashing from water flowing from high above was i stuck the 1/4" tunze tubing in a 3/8" acrylic tube and into the sump but do not submerge just an inch anove the water. Your problem will be solved

Relz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
61   0   1
If you are not pumping the water to a higher level it will continue to siphon. You can punch a few tiny holes in the tubing right above the water line of your ATO reservoir which will allow air into the tubing (stopping the flow) and preventing a siphon.

Thanks for all of the replies. I will try this and see if this works.

oseymour

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Thanks for all of the replies. I will try this and see if this works.

How many feet of tubing do you need? I have some left over when I needed extra and I purchased about 25 feet from Tunze. Send me a PM after you measured.

I also had the same issue with my tank. What I did was run the tubing from the ATO to almost the top of the tank, then back down to the sump. No siphoning, no dripping.

If the ATO container, or the water level in your ATO is higher than the area in the sump where you discharge the water - you will always have this issue.

Branespikin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
92   0   0
Tunze

Heres pic of how i did it as described in my previous post. Black tube is tunze tubing set higher than water level in ATO reservoir. Than drains into bigger acrylic tube to stop siphon, splashing and noise. Acrylic tube must be wider so there is air between tunze tube and acrylic otherwise you would have same problem and siphon again

Attachments

• IMG_7430.jpg
    IMG_7430.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 215

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: