Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Hey All,

So i'm fairly confident I will be able to hard plumb an intermediate design layout for my new tank and sump build. I plan on using 2 return pumps to feed the 2 returns back into the tank (varios 8 for the main, jebao dc12000 for the secondary) with manifolds on each.

The Varios manifold will lead to the skimmer, UV, Biopellet reactor and a 4th for an eventual frag tank. I may add a 5th outlet for misc. And a 6th outlet for quick water changes leading to some flexible tubing. For when I'm lazy and don't feel like getting soaked using the Python.
The Jebao manifold will lead to the chiller, GFO, and eventual calcium reactor, with a 4th for misc.

Each will have dedicated return outlets to the tank and relief valves back into the sump for dialing in the return pumps. Gate valves will control each outlet.

I will be plumbing in a Durso drain, coupled with an emergency siphon drain. Both will have ball valves.

I've been doing a ton of Google research and have a pretty comprehensive plan in my head and on paper, but I want some others' experience and knowledge of what worked for them, what didn't work, what you'd change or add to your existing setup, etc.

I've come away mostly with
A. UNIONS UNIONS UNIONS.
B. Measure 10x, cut once. Dry fit 10x. Glue permanently.
C. Plan for an extra outlet on each manifold, but don't exceed pumps' abilities

Questions
1. Do i need relief valves on my manifolds if I'm using DC pumps? Seems like overkill, but I've seen them used in a few articles (its been awhile - they may not have been utilizing DC)

2. On my manifolds, I was considering adding a ball valve directly in front of the gate valve, so I can shut off all water flow without adjusting the delicate gate valves for things such as the UV and skimmer....good idea? Haven't really seen that done on the Google.

3. Is everything free floating in the sump area, or do you have the PVC bolted into your stand somehow for stability.

Don't limit your additions to these questions. I want anything and everything I might have missed. I want to do this once with minimal headaches and a huge sigh of relief when I'm done.

thanks all.

Reef Trends

www.reeftrends.com
Vendor
Rating - 100%
131   0   0
I would use two of the same pumps so easier to have a backup.

Emergency can't really make siphon would just leave open.

Unions add up quick and can always be added later if you need to cut.

PVC is cheap so don't go crazy with measuring you will drive yourself nuts. Same thing with dry fitting think 10x is overkill lol.

Stuff like skimmer that is going to be sensitive to changes might want its own pump because anytime you mess with one part of manifold will effect other parts. Also UV and chiller you will have to remember to turn power off if turning off main pump another reason sometimes to run separate pumps.

To support PVC you can use straps if you want depending on how much you have plumbed and 'free floating',

Relief valves back into the tank not really needed especially with variable speed pumps but isn't bad idea on non variable instead of throttling with puts pressure on the pump.

Spartanwarrior

Reefer Always Learning
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I would use two of the same pumps so easier to have a backup.

Emergency can't really make siphon would just leave open.

Unions add up quick and can always be added later if you need to cut.

PVC is cheap so don't go crazy with measuring you will drive yourself nuts. Same thing with dry fitting think 10x is overkill lol.

Stuff like skimmer that is going to be sensitive to changes might want its own pump because anytime you mess with one part of manifold will effect other parts. Also UV and chiller you will have to remember to turn power off if turning off main pump another reason sometimes to run separate pumps.

To support PVC you can use straps if you want depending on how much you have plumbed and 'free floating',

Relief valves back into the tank not really needed especially with variable speed pumps but isn't bad idea on non variable instead of throttling with puts pressure on the pump.
@reef trends - so basically no manifolds iyo? Haha turns my entire plan on its head. I see your point with separate pumps for skimmer, uv etc but I think once I have the things dialed in, i won't need to mess with much, hence the ball valve before the gate valve idea for cleaning so i don't mess with the gate valve setting.
And everything is Apex'd so turning on/off isnt a huge hassle, just gotta get into routines.
I like the idea of less unions, just a cut here and there.
2 varios 8s wasnt in the budget at the time, hence the jebao, but i'm thinking if one fails, i cut off all intermediate devices and just run to return until a replacement can be bought. Ideally, i'd love 2 varios but the extra $250 went to an Alkatronic haha

Rating - 100%
36   0   1
If you have an apex you can have it shut down any outlet with ?if? condition, which would save your UV. Totally agree with reef trends with using two of the same pumps so there is similar flow rates and can dial it in better. When doing the return to the DT keep bends 90 elbow minimal so you dont lose too much pressure or reduce flow.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: