i am in the market for powerheads
what powerheads are the best?
thanks
surfinbill

------------------
surfinbill

A

Anonymous

I use Maxi 1000s now, as I have found them to have no chatter upon startup (I use a wavemaker). In the past I have also used Hagen Aquaclear 402s and 802s also with good luck. BTW, I have never had either powerhead fail.

------------------
#reefs channel operator

A

Anonymous

I use Rio 2100 for return from sump and protien skimmer and Hagen 402 for curculation in tank

A

Anonymous

I am running 4 MaxiJet 1200's for a year now, and have had zero problems other than having them scale up and freeze. The suction cups are of a better quality than the others, but they will eventually un-suck!

HTH

------------------
ReefMon on #reefs

A

Anonymous

Maxi-jet!! They never break down like RIO's. I just wish they would make some = in size to the Rio 2500.

A

Anonymous

I have used Hagen, Penguin (Marineland), Rio, and Maxi-Jets. The only one I recommend is Maxi-Jet, especially the newer versions (600, 900, 1200). For example, the new 900 puts out the same gph as the older 1000, but it only requires 8.5 watts to do so (compared to the 1000's 20 watts). My wattages may be slightly off, but not by much.
-Steve

A

Anonymous

I agree with all the comments regarding maxijets. Just remember they are rated in liters and not gallons, so a maxi 1200 is 1200 liters. I also agree that I wish they made a larger version. I have had all kinds of RIOs they are an inexpensive pump and you get what you pay for. Unreliale and dangerous. Maxis have ceramic enclosed shafts which is a plus IMHO! There are not many pumps which can be run long term on wavemakers but maxijets can and do. My vote maxijet!

HTH
Cliff

A

Anonymous

I tried Hagan 802's with a wavemaker. When they start you hear a click. That is the plastic part of the impeller hitting the stop on the impeller shaft (they have a little slack in them). After 5 weeks two of them broke the vanes of the impeller. I switched to MaxiJet 1200 (which has a rigid impeller assembly) and they start without a sound and just keep pumping their little guts out. By the way I've got 12 of them. That should tell you how confident I am.

A

Anonymous

IMO, Maxi jets, they add less heat to the water and hardly ever break down.But realy, no power heads at all is the best (imo).Anything electrical will add heat to the water.

A

Anonymous

I've got 6 MaxiJets in each tank and can't tell the difference in temperature. I think the lights have much more influence on the temperature than powerheads.

A

Anonymous

You have to have powerheads for circulation or something they don't add very much heat. The big pumps do and I think you will only notice it in a small tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: