A

Anonymous

This is just curiosity on my part. Personally I think a nice Polished glass Euro style aquarium is the best for reef; lots of depth (front to back), easy to clean, and difficult to scratch.

Do tell your preference and why.........

A

Anonymous

this is a tough one...I had a 70gal glass show tank for about 10 years,never leaked once,this thing was dropped,kicked,hit with billard balls,Earthquakes,beer cans,bottles you name it..it was scratched on the inside so bad you could hardly see in.I canned it and bought a 55 gal acrylic.the acrylic is much clearer and is not scratched as much as the glass tank was at the same age.......THE REASONE IS..I think me,you,everybody is more carefull with acrylic.....I will be buying a new tank next year and I can tell you this its going to be Acrylic....or Glass....
smile.gif

Mark

------------------
see my tank at
members.xoom.com/golfish1/reef.htm

A

Anonymous

I have two acrylic ones. I thought it would be safer in an earthquake with a little kid in the house, and also I think they look really good. However they do scratch. Yesterday my 2 year old decided to "help" clean the front of it with -- a WIRE DOG BRUSH. Glass has its advantages. Someone posted a similar thread about a month ago, and on it someone said they had a huge crack develop and propagate down the front of it. Clearly these things aren't indestructable. I think if you get MH lamps too close, it may be a problem. Also, access from the top is more limited (an advantage if you want to keep your kid from climbing in and going for a swim) but could cause problems for some. I still prefer them, and the little bit of added expense is noise on the signal in this hobby.

A

Anonymous

The greater scratch resistance of glass is worth more to me than the lighter weight, improved insulation values, clearer optics of acrylic. Especially considering the difficulties some people have removing coralline algae from their acrylic tanks.

I, too, have a Euro-braced glass tank with Starphire front, and I wouldn't trade it for any similar sized acrylic tank I've seen.
-Steve

A

Anonymous

Flounder,

I know this is a little off topic, but if you have a plasics company near you, they should stock a scratch romoving solution for acrylic. Obvioulsy only useful on the outside of the tank, but may help with the wire brush marks!!
By the way, I have a 150 acrylic, and would probably never buy acrylic again.
Adam

[This message has been edited by Adam (edited 30 October 1999).]

A

Anonymous

I, just this minute carried in a 65gal glass tank. It's heavy, fragile and bigger here then it was at the store. But I'm not worried about it getting scratced, and it was pretty cheap!

A

Anonymous

Yeah, I know what you mean.
It can scratch, it'll break, it's heavy, it's unforgiving if it's not level, it's not as clear, tougher to drill, it's hard to repair and if it's small enough, it's not worth fixing.
Ya gotta love that price tho.

A

Anonymous

Targus,
read my post....thats one of the problems with glass "I'm not worried about it getting scrathed"

I wonder how many people out there have had Glass tanks for ten+ years and Acrylic tanks for ten+ years....I have!

I'm still going to buy a new tank next year and its going to be acrylic or glass
smile.gif

Mark

------------------
see my tank at
members.xoom.com/golfish1/reef.htm

[This message has been edited by golfish (edited 30 October 1999).]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: