A

Anonymous

I finally got my fifty five for x-mas and am beginning to get the stuff together for my first reef tank. I need the advice of all those reading on what to buy.

First and formost I want to get by as inexpeneive as possible (without sacrificing quality). If any of you know of a good place to MO the following or know of any specials please let me know.

First I need a heater. Brand? Watts?

Powerhead(s). Brand? Watts?

Aragonite sand?

Salt (IO)?

CPR BakPak?

Also need DIY plans for a stand and a hood to fit 4-48in Flourescents.

Any other sage-like advice about setup and so on would be greatly relished.

A

Anonymous

MFisher -

Heater - Aquarium Systems Visi-Therm; You should probably go with around 200 watts for a 55. I would recommend keeping two of these heaters in the tank, in case one fails. These heaters can be bought MO for under as little as $12.

Powerheads - The three brands of powerheads I would recommend are: Aquarium systems Maxi-Jet, Hagen Aquaclear, and RIO. All three brands are reliable. For a 55, I would go with the MJ 750, 1000, or 1200, Hagen 402 or 802, or the equivalent RIO. The Maxi-Jets are good pumps but are not as efficient as Hagen or Rio (more watts used per gph of waterflow) which means more heat transferred to the water. If heat will be a problem (especially in the summer)you may want to go with the Hagen or RIO. One thing which is nice about the larger 1700 and 2100 RIOs that PVC can be run from one pump to several areas in the tank so fewer pumps are needed(set it in a back corner of the tank and run PVC where you want it). Plus these two pumps are very efficient(and cheap - about $30-35 MO).

Aragonite sand - CaribSea Special Grade Aragonite Reef Sand or Florida crushed Coral(or a combination of both). Add a little live sand to seed it.

Salt - Instant Ocean!!!!

CPR Backpack - I personally haven't used the CPR Backpack but I have heard very few negative things about this skimmer. You could probably do a lot worse.

DIY Hood Plans - try http://ozreef.org/diy/index.html

Other Sage Advice - Go slowly!!! Give everything a chance to adjust to living in an aquarium(even live rock & livesand). Buy maricultured corals, fish, and other inverts whenever possible. Read as much as possible. Talk to everyone you can. Use the internet!!!

Hope this helps!

Corbin

------------------
http://home.att.net/~corbinwest

A

Anonymous

A really good heater brand is a ebojagar, really realible but somewhat expensive. you will not need to of those.

The Aragonite sand I would go with carib-sea sugar size select its fine for all little craetures to sift through.

Salt IO

No cpr I have one on my 30 gallon reef and its not pulling enough out and Im having a problem with nitrates.

Go with a marineland sos over flow box. then a 10-20 gallon sump. Skimmer I would look on the net and find a god place for a turbofloater.

Check the real price diffence between the 40 watt floresents and ho/vho I know that you can get 4 bulbs ice cap balast and your chose of bulbs for around $313.00. or possibly less. what ever you do dont cut corners on your lighting and skimmer.

HAVE FUN!

A

Anonymous

I would Mix the sugar size with some carib sea special grade to get some weight on that sugar it is still a nice size and makes for a nice mix. Check with Jason at www.premiumaquatics.com his prices are the best I have found anyway although ffexpress is pushing their dry goods now and have quite a few sales going on. decide what you want and shop. Instant Ocean salt. 200 watt heater (I'm also a two heater vote). and a great Skimmer and lights(THINK VHO), pay the money there.

Let me just re-iterate go slow..add animals..adjust tank parmeters salinity, PH, Temp, and other factors slow. Try to not make rapid adjustments, and don't forget some live rock to get that cycle crankin'.

Good luck.

Clark

A

Anonymous

The advice given above has covered you for getting started. But, again I say to you go slow, buy once, and listen to your animals they will tell you what is right and what is junk. The two most important investments you will make are your lights and your live rock IMO. Everything else has a way of working itself out. Skip the NO Flourecents in a year you will want to replace them. VHO or metal haide are the most proven way to have a thriving reef, read enough post and you will find countless hobbiest changing their lights from NO to VHO or Halide. That said start with a good book if you don't already have one. Reef Aquarium Vol. 1 will be the best money you ever spent in this hobby IMO. Research, ask questions and find a good, honest LFS. Welcome to your new obsession.

ZQY

A

Anonymous

Regarding powerheads, if you use them on a wavemaker (turn them off and on a lot) don't use Hagen. The impellers will tear up. I broke two in a week. I've since been using Maxijets with no problem (and no clicking noise).

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: