A

Anonymous

i still am not sure which skimmer i will get i have a 55 gal with 50-60 lbs of lr and 40 lbs of aragonite with 3 powerheads each pumping 400 gph this is a reef tank and i want to have 4-5 fish i am considering using xenia to filter the water for nutrients so i don't want to take everything outta the water
i think i will go with the seaclone and put my skilter 400 on a 10 gal micro anyway
VOTE VOTE VOTE
FOR THE SKIMMER YOU LIKE BEST

A

Anonymous

i have a seaclone on my 38 gal and it works very well. and contrary to all the bad press it was only hard to adjust when new. after it slimes up it runs great and does a decent job. better than a stone driven one. in fact it's a great skimmer. so there, i said it, all you seaclone bashers!

A

Anonymous

I've only used a CPR Bak Pak and a US aquariums and some sanders skimmers. I have a 60gal with 70lbs of rock. I like the CPR but it can sometimes spit out some bubbles.

But other than that the CPR bak pak does a good job. (You can throw crap in the sump part of the skimmer, like heater, probes, carbon, etc.)But again I haven't used that many personally.

[This message has been edited by OSBrain (edited 18 December 1999).]

A

Anonymous

First off, I would get at least 100 pounds of sand for the 55. That should give you a few inches on the bottom. A great place for critters to breed and thrive. Second, buy a Knop if you want an inexpensive but effective skimmer. I have personally tried a Seaclone on a 20 gal after hearing all the bad press about it. I gave it plenty of time to "break in" as well. It did a marginal job. The skimmate was very light in color which says it is high in water content. I have seen Knop skimmers in action and the skimmate they produced was dark, not watery at all. Good luck.

------------------
#reefs channel operator

A

Anonymous

Rich,

Have you heard of the Knops overflowing? I was considering using one of these but was afraid their overflow problem was out of control. Any insight?

A

Anonymous

For a tank that size, Turbofloter is very hard to beat. You could even get the hang on version and forgo a sump, making the system MUCH more reliable.
Have you already bought the powerheads?
If not, Marine labs makes a paddle type wavemaker that uses no pumps in the water and produces tons of current. It cost around $160 but three powerheads @ 400gph will run around $100 and you still have no alternating currents, plus ugly pumps in the tank.
Just a thought.
John

A

Anonymous

I agree with philter,I would spend the money and get the best you can within your budget and the turbo 1000 is a good one .The sipedon is another that uses the pin wheel method of chopping the bubbles from the venturi valve into even finer bubbles and creates more contact space.Many people are using these on 125 gal tanks and having success,but I would be tempted to vote for an ETS,euroreef,or Aqua C on any tank over a 90 gal.They give you the leeway of a much higher bio-load and we know how we love to push our tanks to the limit.

A

Anonymous

i have had berlin, u.s venturi and tunze.
i just got a new tank a few months back. and got a needle wheel skimmer from d.a.s and it kicks a. i will buy again if needed i love it.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: