A

Anonymous

I am going to set up a sump for my 40 gallon reef (small reef compared to some of you!) I am going to build it on my own from a 10 gal. aquarium. I have a question about the heater setting, should I leave on the same setting, or should it be set differently in the sump? I plan on making an overflow box from some plastic breeders. I would also like to use clear flexible plastic tubing and not PVC piping. I will be pumping the water back up to the tank about 5 feet. I would also like to use a powerhead to accomplish this. I am also looking for any suggestions or pitfalls to watch out for when building my sump.

Thanks, Steve

P.S.-- You guys (and gals) are great. Thanks for all the help. One day when I am more experienced, I can help out with some questions also. This is a great forum, keep up the good work.

A

Anonymous

Hey Guys;

For my sumps I use Rubbermaid tubs from WalMart, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. I got the biggest that would fit in my cabinets. This gives me more room than a regular tank would at a fraction of the cost. It also adds to the capacity of your system making it more stable.

A

Anonymous

I am just like Harry. These containers are great for all kinds of things. We have one for a refugia, one for a sump and one for a surge device. You can drill all of the holes you want with a normal hole saw.
smile.gif
We also use all vinyl tubing from Home Depot or Lowes.

[This message has been edited by Aquaman (edited 06 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

Hi Steve,
You can keep the heater setting the same.It shouldnt be an issue.
As far as using a powerhead,it depends.They are not really good at lifting water that high.Some of the more powerfull ones might do it like a Rio 2500 or bigger or maybe a Mag pump.Just make sure that the overflow you are building can handle the output from the pump.
Here is a site that has a lot of sumps and other DIY stuff. http://saltaquarium.about.com/home/saltaquarium/msubmenudiy.htm
Good luck,Bob

------------------
My reef album
http://communities.msn.com/BobsReefPictures

A

Anonymous

Steve, I agree, use a bigger sump than a 10 gallon, even if its bigger than your main tank, it gives you much more stability, and your water level in the sump won't fluctuate as much as in a smaller one. Maintenance will be easier with a larger sump. As far as your heaters go, you should put a thermometer on your tank and adjust your heaters until the tank temperature is adequate. The temp of the sump may be different from the main tank. You will lose some heat in the transfer piping and through the surface of the sump.

------------------
I thought boats were expensive!
Dave

A

Anonymous

Be sure to put a siphon break on the return to your tank. During a power outage, water will siphon from main tank back to sump. Make sure the sump can handle additional volume (don't fill the sump past half to 3/4 full). A siphon break is a small hole in return just below water line. The back siphon will proceed until it reaches this hole and sucks air to break the siphon. A 1 inch drop in water level in a 50 gal tank can be as much as 2.5 gal, add this to a 3/4 full 10 gal sump and you have a precariously close flood!
I use a Rio2500 with approx 4 foot head back pressure split treturn to the corners of my 50. I also use a 17 gal clear sterilite tub for a sump. I use 3/4 vinyl tube with barb fittings for return and 2 inch on the drain from my overflow. Go oversized on drain. Draw it all out and test with simulated power outage.
email at [email protected] if you have additional questions or my explaination is unclear.

[This message has been edited by sharkdude (edited 07 February 2000).]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: