A

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me what the difference between a 400W and a 250Watt MH ballast is?

If I am buying a 6500K MH bulb, wouldnt it be the same regardless of the watt. OR, is it just brighter with the same color? AND, what do most people prefer, 175W, 250W, or 400W?????

A

Anonymous

About 10 bucks.
rolleyes.gif

The difference is that a 400w is more intense in the light it puts out. The color (K) should be the same.

Most people prefer 400w due to the fact that it gives the most light, definitely a plus when growing coral. In germany they use 1000w bulbs, so you can see it getting out of hand pretty quick.

What you should get depends on the depth of the tank. 18in or less, go 175. 24-30 in, go 250. anything deeper, go 400w. Ah screw that, just go 400w!

Ask yourself, what am I gonna keep. If it's just LPS and softies, 250w should be fine, but, if you want to throw some SPS in there too, go 400w.

Go 400w.
Go 400w.
Go 400w.
Go 400w.

------------------
My wallet lies at the bottom of my reef. Along with my brain.

A

Anonymous

Lighthouse,

I’ve been having an ongoing discussion with reef keepers about 175 vs. 250. Vs. 400 watt metal halides. All I can say is, if you end up putting 800 watts over you soft corals, get them acclimated to this light level, slowly.

Regards,

Scott

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: