A

Anonymous

I took a note pad in with me to copy down the information to share with you guys so that you can tell me if it is good or bad.
Brand: Premier
Manufacturing Systems Inc.
5 stage RO system

Stage: 1- Sediment Prefilter
5 micron sediment filter
Replace approx every 6 months
2-3- Carbon Prefilter
56 cubic inches of carbon
Replace approx every 6 months
4- Membrane
Thin Film Composite Semi permeable
Membrane
Replace approx ever 2-5 years
5- Final Carbon Filter
Micron Carbon Polishing Filter
Replace approx every 1 year

Includes:
Faucet
TFM Membrane
Storage Tank (3 gallon)
Automatic Shut-off Valve
Universial Usage(chlorinated
or non-chlorinated)

Useable with 40-85psi water pressure.

Sorry to make this a long post, but I do not want to spend my money on crap, and have to spend it again. Please tell me is this is a good system or a bad one. The price is kinda scaring me off, it is $190 at Lowes, and (I think) $150 at Sams. I was thinking that the good ones cost more than this. I believe it will only do about 15g/day though. Well, thanks for any help!!

Joe

Here is a picture and description www.premierh2o.com/5stage.html

[This message has been edited by AkaSlyGuy (edited 11 January 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I'm on my way tommorow to return my Honeywell RO. I can't get the darn thing to stop purging the waste water. It is supposed to stop when the tank is full. They still had several on the shelf last week out here so I'll exchange it. One thing I found out though was the last stage post filter was leaching Phosphates in the water. I just removed the post carbon filter and no phosphates. Something you might want to check out Surfinbill.

A

Anonymous

darn you guys go to lowes where you live and find all these nifty things and i go to lowes and can't even find the right plastic fitting.that should be on the shelf.for 190 you could have a spectrapure or kent marine ro/di sent to your door.i would go with an aquarium made one,you also did not state the micron size of filter would not bother if less then 5 micron.
smile.gif
right on the phosphates because it is not made for fish tanks they probley use cheap carbon .

[This message has been edited by reef2 (edited 12 January 2000).]

A

Anonymous

You might want to swap the second carbon block with an ion exchange resin made for aquarium water purification. It should help clean up the trace elements making it through the other filters.

You might really want to consider just buying one of the Kent or Spectrapure systems targeted for the hobby. I got a similar 60 gal/day unit for $225 with the ion exchange resin.

A

Anonymous

hi joe
i have the same ro but i bought it under the honneywell brand name.i got mine at homedepot for 99.00 .they were having a closeout on them about back in oct-nov.
it works great,the only thing i had to do was replace the metal intake line (they give you the kind you screw right into the waterpipe) with a plastic screw on nozzle i can screw on to the utility tub faucett end.And of course you wont use the tank they supply.
you can get more gallons per day by using warmer water ,though they tell you in the instructions to only hook up to cold line.>they dont want hot water to cause leaks and lawsuits i guess.by hooking up to tub nozzle i can adjust temp where i want it,(70-75deg).it kicks butt.
check out hd they might still have some on the shelf.

------------------
surfinbill

[This message has been edited by surfinbill (edited 12 January 2000).]

[This message has been edited by surfinbill (edited 12 January 2000).]

A

Anonymous

Definately use a deionizing resin in place of the second carbon block filter. You can buy a Maxxima from Kent for about $219. I would go that route. I bought a Kent Bare Bones RO for $70 bucks and added the post d/i for $50. Seems to do the trick. If I had it to do again I would go straight to the Maxxima or comparable Spectrapure unit. W/out the d/i I was having a problem with silicates and thus diatomic algae. Since the addition of the post d/i (got it for Christmas) the diatomic algae is radically decreasing.

------------------
http://www.xmission.com/~mikeb/heil.html

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions. I knew I could count on you guys. I think I am just going to wait and get one specifically for aquariums.

Thanks again
Joe

A

Anonymous

hey DymondHead,
why are you using the tank with that unit?
The water that fills up my plastic cans comes from the first blue line before it ever gets to the last (fifth) filter.
I dont know why but by not using the tank the water drips out of the first blueline only going through 4 of the filters.Im gonna check the phosphates in the fresh water-thanks

------------------
surfinbill

A

Anonymous

I got one of those Honeywell RO units back in Oct at Home Depot for $99. Then a couple weeks later I saw them clearing them out for $50. Took my receipt and got the difference back as refund. So I got a 5 stage RO filter for $50. Not bad eh? My buddy got one too. He has better H20 psi at his house, so he can make water about twice as fast as I can. We've been making it like crazy for our recent live rock curing fest. Some more detail regarding the 5th stage and phosphates would be helpful. Anyone have a URL for a cartridge or something that would be better than the 5th stage filter included?

A

Anonymous

OK, the 5th stage is a sealed cartridge that would have to be replaced when no good anymore. When I first tested my water the phosphates read 2mg/L. I removed the 5th stage completly and connected the blue line directly to the tank. Then the phosphates tested <.5 mg/L. I also have a "T" with a line going to my storage container. If you want you can buy a DI unit to replace the 5th stage for complete filtration. Still a lot cheaper than the others.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: