A

Anonymous

Looking to use this pump on a 120 gal. reef. Yes or no and why. Thank you

A

Anonymous

I have one on a 90g reef tank. I have no complaints about the performance. It was a definate step up from my Top Fathom.

One thing I didn't like about installation was the it must draw the water higher level than the skimmer ( ie: line coming from the overflow ) it isn't powerfull enough intake to draw water directly from the sump. So it takes a little while to get your plumbing modified to get it to work.

I did hook up a luft pump to the air intake to force a little more air through which seems to have helped. I have also heard of people exchange the rio 1700 or rio 2100 that comes with the skimmer to a rio 2500.

It says it is rated for up to 250 gallon but most people are saying that the 250 rating is an way over its ablities.

I have no regrets and for the money vs. a euro-reef, aqua-c, or ets I think it is a good skimmer.....

A

Anonymous

Last time i checked, the only difference between the Rio 1700, 2100, and, i think, the 2500 is the impeller. Since you would be changing the Rio's provided impeller with the Turbofloater's impeller, there really wouldn't be a change in performance.

JOHNNY

------------------

A

Anonymous

Great skimmer for me. I have a 100 gallon reef. i think it will do fine. One of the best skimmers, IMO, for the price. Check out the other post on this page to help with some other details.

HTH, Scott

A

Anonymous

I have to disagree.
I own a turbofloter and it is a great skimmer. It is NOT a great skimmer on a 100+gallon reef however. I just removed mine from the sump of my 135 to replace it with a DAS BX-2. The turbofloter could not keep up with my tank (was getting algae) which has a light bio-load. It worked OK for about 2 years but over time the tank built up more and more dissolved organics.
I would go with a DAS or Euro-reef, although the DAS work just as well and are ALOT cheaper. My BX-2 was $449 but is rated for up to a 700 gallon tank.
I always figure on 1/2 of the advertised capacity so my BX-2 may be overkill. I believe the BX-1 (300 gallon rating) is $310.

The Turbofloter is rated at 250 gallons so I would say 125 or less is the usefull rating.
You are right on the bubble with a 120 gallon tank and they always say when in doubt chose the next size up.
John

A

Anonymous

I can see the Rio 1700 & 2100 maybe the same guts but I am quite sure the Rio 2500 is larger and consumes more electicity.

A

Anonymous

Hi Budes45,

I personally prefer the berlin line of protein skimmers. I have a 55 gallon reef tank with a light bioload, and the XL model pulls out alot of gunk. The XL is larger, thus a longer contact time for the bubbles. The turbo seems a little small for any tank larger than 55 gallons. I would love to have the money to buy a DAS, Euro-reef, or ETSS, but I'm a working stiff and can't justify >$400 for a peice of aquarium equipment. I got the XL for $149.99 and a danner mag 7 for $50, total $200. If you have the money, go for the high end. If you don't have the money, go for a berlin.

Good luck!

A

Anonymous

budes45

The one thing you have to take into mind is price. I am sure there are better skimmers than the turbo, but I don't know your budget and the price of some of these skimmers and their pumps can get very expensive. That's why I stated that I think the the turbo is one of the best for the money. If your plans are for a heavily stocked and fed reef, then you may eventually need a larger skimmer. I agree with john F in that 120 gallons is about the limit that I think the turbo can handle well.

Then again, 2 years down the road, the skimmers available may be cheaper and/or better along with the pumps that are needed to drive some of the titans. You need to compare apples with apples. I wouldn't compare a toyota tercel to a mercedes 600--they can both reliably get you around, but one sure cost more to purchase and run! The skimmer is a very important piece of equipment, so see how much you want to spend. People often say to buy the best vital equipment that you can afford, but this isn't always the case and something is always coming out that is supposed to be better (but not always is, better yet, probably isn't)

The other consideration is size and where to put the skimmer.

Best of luck, Scott

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: