A

Anonymous

Yes I do. BTW, has anyone seen any powerheads, pumps, wavemakers, heaters, chillers, controllers, various probes, uv sterilizers or ozone generators being used in the ocean lately??

Paul

A

Anonymous

yes have ground probes- its a shocking experience to walk on wet carpet(overflowed the rodi water) and put your hand in the tank- electroshock therapy- free. LOL

A

Anonymous

nope, not me.
i also dont have any problems with lld.
i know there is stray voltage in the tank, but i have not seen any symptoms of abnormality in anything i have kept.

A

Anonymous

Yes.
Before probe, 7 volts, now 0

------------------
The result of a many-sided life, is a many-faceted mind.
-Robert A. Heinlein

A

Anonymous

I use a probe on my tanks. Just a couple of things to point out. First, a physics principle: The ocean is grounded. The water touches the ground, doesn't it? In any event, it's large enough to disperse considerable voltage on its own anyway. Our tanks, on the other hand, do not have that luxury(of being huge!) Glass, rubber tubing, etc. are pretty good insulators. They will maintain whatever stray voltage you have pretty well.

The problem with that voltage is predominately how it affects our tank inhabitants. If we do something unwise, a GFCI will keep us from frying. The animals have a different problem. This is the second issue, biophysics. Voltage differentials are critical for every biological organism. Remember action potentials from way back in Biology 101? Just one example that depends on voltage differences in and out of the cell. Same for our tank inhabitants. If we have stray voltage in the environment, they have to overcome that voltage to maintain their metabolism. It may not cause a big problem right away, but can have a long term effect, just as if your salinity were 1.050 or something. Exactly how it affects them depends on the organism and the amount of voltage. Why subject them to that stress just to save $10.00?

My $0.02. HTH, ed

A

Anonymous

Remember, if you have a controller(at least I'm sure about the neptune), the temperature probe generally acts as a grounding probe.

-Chris

A

Anonymous

We have probes on all 4 of our tanks. Just recently did this, based on detecting huge current in our newest tank. The newest tank has an Algal Turf Scrubber and MH lighting, and had a bigger current than the other three (two are 15 year old tanks, one SO, one VHO). The level we detected in the new tank was close to 50 V, and was perceptible by a burning tingling on a cut on my hand.

We made our probes, as well as extras to sell, using Titanium Bicycle Spokes. They work perfectly.

One thing I would like to point out to those who do not think they are necessary, is that the damage caused by a slight charge could be insignificant enough to avoid detection by us, but over time will contribute to decline in health of our animals. I can see better growth and less ich in my fish with the probes now on the tanks. If we are going to force these beautiful creatures to live in our tiny mini-Reef aquariums, why not treat them as humanely as possible. This is cheap, safe and does make a difference.

A

Anonymous

Methusula:

Your temp probes act as grounds? I have several probes, and one is stainless steel (the others are plastic coated and do not act as grounds). I don't use a neptune, but in my system, I don't believe that the outside metal shell of the probe is connected to ground. There are only two wires in the probe, and they form either side of the sensor (a thermistor, in my case, others may have thermocouples). neither of the wires connects to the stainless steel shell.

Have you ever measured to see if the probe is a ground?

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

Chris:

You say that you are sure that your temperature probe acts as a grounding probe? That must be a specific feature of the neptune (which I have not used). It isn't true in the general case.

Most temperature probes (there are several fundamentally different types)do not ground the solution. Many, including some of mine, are not even electrically conductive as they are coated with plastic. Others simply have a stainless steel sheath which is not electrically in contact with anything.

Did neptune say the probe would ground the tank? Have you ever measured it?

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

A

Anonymous

Yes and NO 3 tanks 1 with a probe
\me thinks me needs to buy a couple more...
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

bmw,

Thanks man. That's the sort of thing I was looking for!
smile.gif

-Nathan

A

Anonymous

Yep, I run a grounding probe on my tank. Also have a dedicated GFIC for the tank. The main reason for the addition of the probe to my setup was because of how minute stray voltages can adversely affect tank inhabitants. For as cheap as they are, they are a good idea IMHO.

Shane

A

Anonymous

Nope, considering it seriously tho...

------------------
I've got money left, I have to be doing something wrong!!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: