A

Anonymous

Need help here. I have been in contact with the LFS and have ordered a 90 gal. All-Glass Aquarium, Twin-Flo model.

They offer an overflow with the supply and return holes drilled in the bottom of the overflow. I do not want the return coming up through the overflow. I want to return the water on the other side of the tank, as far from the overflow as possible.

My situation, I have ordered the tank drilled with a 2-3/8" hole to hold a 1-1/2" bulkhead fitting, which will feed my sump. I plan to return the water up the back of the tank and over the top rim, into the tank, via a set-up similar to the Magnum 350 return. Away from my overflow. Am I on the wrong track here?

Got a message from the LFS, says All-Glass can not figure out why I only want one hole drilled. They are concerned about my return. Will not drill until I respond.

Am I confussed? Am I overlooking something? What am I missing?

Help needed asap, I must respond by the am.
Thanks.

Clayton

A

Anonymous

I would personally have the return come up through the overflow. That way you can plumb the return up to the top of the tank without it being seen and this also reduces the possibility of water draining out in a power outage. I would still use a check valve though. Your idea of coming over the top will work just as good though so I don’t see what their problem is.

Good luck
Chas

A

Anonymous

Clayton,

I have an All Glass with dual overflows currently. I don't understand why you would want the return set up the way you are suggesting....Is there a reason?

Mine returns back through the overflow into the nozzles and I can adjust the direction of the flow in the tank.

Mike

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses.

I have called the LFS and had him relay, to All-Glass, the one hole only request.

Received a post from an AG employee. Says that going about it my way is fine. I feel I have made the right decision. I will have more options with the return up the back. I can live with a couple of hoses. They'll blend with the lighting and fan wires. The back of the tank will also be painted black.

I hope to acheive a greater gph supply to the sump. If correct, the AG overflow and their pre-drilled holes will do around 800-900 gph. With the 1-1/2" bulkhead fitting I hope to do close to 1200 gph.

I hope to wye my return and use the distribution devices that come with Magnum
canister filters. They have a good clip system to hold them securely. I will be using the check valve. I plan to use the two returns for my top water circulation.

Thanks again for the posts.
Clayton

[This message has been edited by Clayton (edited 28 January 2000).]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: