A

Anonymous

Does anyone use 12k bulb(s)? If you do please tell me how many bulb(s) and what size tank? If you are using supplemental atinic bulb(s) and how many is the watt ballast. Any information would be helpful. I'm quandaring the purchase of the 12k bulb found on the Aquatic Lighting Systems page (www.aquaticlight.com. They claim that it will obviate atinic supplemental lighting.

[This message has been edited by keiretsu (edited 20 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

Ive been running the 12000K 175w M.H for about a month now, and I must say, it blows my VHO away. Granted it does put out a bluish tint, which I feel does NOT need any blue supplement of any kind. It's in a 90 gal illuminating mainly sps corals. Awesome bulb with an awesome effects on my corals. HTH.

A

Anonymous

I went to that site today too, looks like they have soom good deals. Ive been wanting to add some MH to my tank, but probaly not for a while.
How many 175's do you use on your 90gl?
I have a 90gl too. my tank really needs moer light, And Im either going to eventually add probaly 2 10,000k or 12000k 175watt bulbs, depending on where I get the MH stuff, either from PFO or aquaticlight.com. Not sure yet
Eric

A

Anonymous

Eric,

On my 90, which should be up and running soon, has 2-250W 10K German AB MH's and 2-110W VHO URI actinic whites and 2-110W VHO URI actinic blues.

I just got it all wired to my BlueLine 250's and an IceCap 660 yesterday. WOW! Hard to believe that I am going to set this lighting set-up on my tank. I could light the neighborhood with this. I did not look at the lights except for a couple of seconds at a time. Couldn't look for long, I assure you.

I installed them in my DIY reflector assembly. I could not be happier. Came together better than I had hoped. Looks as if it was commercially made. Although a bit on the heavy side. It is now ready to install in my canopy. Will complete this project by next weekend.

Clayton

A

Anonymous

Hi kieretsu
I purchased the kit from Aquatic Lighting Systems and like I mentioned in past posts, you get what you pay for. The ballast is heavy, the hardware cheesy and some wiring must be done. With that said the 12k sunburst bulb is really neat. It does not get nearly as bright as my 6500k or 10k bulbs. I use 2 250w's over a fish only tank and it is a great looking light.
Remember that no reflector comes with the kit so keep that in mind when pricing. Take a look at WWW.marinedepot.com PFO retro kits. I also purchased these and they are great

Andy

------------------

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: