A

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

I am curious about the methods you used to build your reef structures. Size of peices, shape of reef, is it suspended above the sand bed on a platform or pvc? Any unique overhangs archs or caves? I am building my second reef and remember what a pain in the butt it was to build that sucker. Did you guys hand pick your rock or did you make do with what came out of the box?. The first time I built mine I suspended the rock on 1-1/2" pvc just above the live sand. I was never really satisfied with the way it all looked. It was nice but not quite what I invisioned.
sad.gif

Thanks,
Joe

A

Anonymous

I use Tonga branch rock to bulid a vertical, latticed structure. Then fill in the gaps with whatever type of rock you want. You end up with a very open structure with lots of caves.

A

Anonymous

Jim: For What It's Worth- My 90 gal reef is a jaubert style with lots of fiji live rock. The main structure is supported by 5 pieces of base rock. I drilled three 1/2" holes into each piece. I put short sections of 1/2" cpvc (hot water pvc ) in the holes and then put a tee on the exposed end. It formed a tripod so that the "dead" areas are kept to a minimum. Occasionally, the front legs are visible from the front of the tank , but it's not too bad, especially if the cpvc becomes encrusted in calcareous algae. I have about 1" clearance under the rocks. I have one big arch with many other assorted pieces. I'm very sensitive to avalanches because the front glass is starlight glass. It's clarity is similar to acrylic but it will shatter easier than "standard" green floatglass.Blue maxima clams are vivid blue , just as if you were looking from above! The tank has been running successfully for 4 years with this setup. Hope this helps !

------------------

A

Anonymous

i am building a reef rack type system out of black plastic two liter coke crates, the bottle separators will support most any coral. i have cut out the bottoms of the bottle holes to make a nice rigged mesh with lots of flow through

alan

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: