A

Anonymous

I'm interested in installing a bulb to simulate the moon phase.

Where might I find one and what wattage?

Also, for the socket should it be a special socket? Waterproof, stainless steel?

I'm planning on placing it between my MH's.
Would the bulb and socket disturb the distribution of the MH lights?

Could one place it outside the tank in a regular type lamp?

Thanks,
Clayton

A

Anonymous

We have moon light on both of our reef tanks. I just mounted some lamp sockets that I got at Home Depot in the hood between the MH reflectors. On the 180 I used four 25 watt bulbs and on the 400 I used six 25 watt bulbs. The bulbs I used were made by Energy Savers Unlimited and they are called Colormax. I used the blue ones. I got them at the local Petsmart.
smile.gif
On the 180 we have a DigitalOceans LightWave that controls the phase of the moon and on the 400 I use an X10 lamp module and I set it manual by the percentage on the LightWave. I am thing of getting a Neptune Aquacontroller. It not only controls the phase of the moon but also the moon rise and moon set.
smile.gif
The LightWave just turns the moon on when the main lights are off.
frown.gif

A

Anonymous

I have two 25W blue Phillips bulbs on my 180g controlled by a Neptune Controller. This works quite well as far as I can tell. It's pretty neat to see the feeder tentacles come out on the corals, and especially to watch the Banghai cardinals hunting. For my tank, it seems like two 25W bulbs are enough. When the light is at the full moon phase, the tank is lit up relatively bright. I bought the bulbs and the "outdoor" fixtures at Home Depot. The bulbs I have might not be scientifically accurate for moonlight, but they cost $2 or so and seem to be doing the job quite well.

A

Anonymous

Clayton,

I use blue GE Party bulbs found at hardware, grocery and drug stores. www.coralreefecosystems.com sells single and double luner socket sets that are made out of non corrosive powder coated aluminun with medium base porcelain sockets.

Reefaddictus

A

Anonymous

In my 180, I use two nightlights that are activated by the absense of light. Works awesome. Costs about 2-5 bucks. No timers, no X-10 modules, no problems.

-Christopher

Not EVERYTHING in this hobby has to be expensive. =)

A

Anonymous

In my new 180 or 200 reef, I will use 2 Blue GE Party bulbs, controlled by one of my surplus AquaControlers.
I love the way that the AquControler simulates moon phase, moonrise and moonset.

My fixture will have a splash guard, so the bulb socket can be a simple ceramic or plastic socket.

Regards,

Scott

A

Anonymous

I agree with scott. If your going to do it, do it right. The only cheaper way I know of simulating lunar phases is to buy a screw in type dimmer and manually adjust it everyday.

Reefaddictus

A

Anonymous

Thanks to all.

Here is what I have done. After looking at the party bulbs, I chose a Phillips 25W perfectly round bulb, frosted. Looks more like a moon than the regular "bulb" shape.

Brought it home and spray painted the bulb with a blueish moon color. Most larger Christmas bulbs are painted, so I tried it. It came out great! Plugged it into the outlet and it really even looks like the moon with small craters due to the way the sprayed paint hit the bulb.

I am now in the process of heat testing the paint on the bulb. It has been running now for about 48 hours with no meltdown, no smoking and it is not hot or sticky to the touch. The ceramic socket is warmer than the bulb. The socket is recessed so only one half inch of ceramic will be exposed under the reflector. Clean looking. If all goes well, I will drill the canopy reflector this weekend.

I thank you all for the suggestions. I was hoping that there was an actual moon bulb on the market. Oh well, DIY works even better sometimes.

Clayton

[This message has been edited by Clayton (edited 23 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

I use a low-wattage standard bulb (15 w?) in an inexpensive fixture for the purpose of letting the fish find their hiding places at night when the lights go off. This bulb stays on for about an hour after the last of the main tank lights goes off.

FWIW, I think it is stressful on fish to be suddenly plunged into nearly complete darkness.

------------------
Randy Holmes-Farley

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: