cali_reef

Fish and Coral Killer
Rating - 97.3%
36   1   0
After using the Neptune System?s AquaController II(ACII) for about 4 years, I had the opportunity to buy a gently used AquaController III Pro (ACIII Pro) last year when a fellow hobbyist with deep pockets was taking a hiatus from reef keeping (yes, he couldn?t resist and set up another reef tank six months later, after he sold everything). The price he wanted for the AC III Pro, one DC-8 and one DC-4HD module was reasonable, almost instant and without any hesitation, I said ?I?ll take it? before another reefer that was with me at the time even had a chance to think about taking it. After using the ACIII Pro for about six month, I was so impress with its functionality and flexibility I traded in one of the ACII?s I was using for an AquaController III (ACIII), when Neptune was running a promotion that gave a nice credit for used ACII?s towards an ACIII or ACIII Pro upgrade.

Neptune Systems?s website have a pretty good production description for the AquaControllers, I will not repeat them here.

This product review will be on both the ACIII Pro and the ACIII, and some of the peripheral I use with the Neptune System controllers.

Base Unit
The ACIII Pro?s base unit (4.0" x 7.50" x 1.10") is slightly larger the ACIII (3.70" x 5.75" x 1.10"), the ACIII is the same physical size as the old ACII. The larger ACIII Pro base unit have two additional ports for conductivity(COND) and dissolved oxygen(DO) probes, it also have a larger LCD screen that displays four lines vs. the two line display on other base units(ACIII, ACjr, and ACII). The larger display on the ACIII Pro is the only thing I like over the ACIII, the two optional probes proof to be a disadvantage for my use.

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

Each base unit comes with one 9V power transformer, a temperature probe, and a user?s manual, nothing else. I am not sure why a second 9V transformer is not included for use as a back up power source, IMO it?s a pain in the butt when you have to run to Radio Shack to find the correct voltage transformer and plug, since you?ll need it. I suggest ordering a second 9V transformer from Neptune when you order the controller. In addition to the second transformer, you?ll have to purchase the control hardware, Temperature probe(ACIII Pro only), PH probe(s), and\or an ORP(Oxygen Reducing Potential) probe to complete the controller package. There are many online vendors that will sell you most of these items together as a ?combo package? with a slight discount. Both base units comes pre-programmed from Neptune, it will support a typical mid size tank?s equipment list with some slight tinkering in the program, however, the controller is capable to do much, much more. The biggest difference in the ACIII and ACIII Pro when compared the other Neptune controllers (and most other brand of controllers) is the built in Web Server. You can access these controllers with a web browser (any PC and MAC browser) from practically anywhere in the world; I have personally connected to my controllers sitting 3,000 miles away, checking up the condition of the tank.

Untitled4.jpg

Probes, Digital inputs, and their use:
The ACIII come with a temperature probe only, and the ACIII Pro comes with NO probe, not even a temperature probe, unless you bought a ?combo package? from one of the on-line vendors. The different probes are used to monitor various perimeters of the tank and can trigger certain electrical switches to alter those conditions.

Temperature probe - The base unit can be set to display the probe reading in either Fahrenheit or Celsius. The temperature probe for the ACIII Pro also acts as a ground reference for the PH, ORP and DO, you have to place these probes within 6 inches of the temp probe, this is not necessary for the ACIII. The temperature probe is typically placed in an area of the sump or tank where water will flow thru\around it, it should not be placed in an area lacking water circulation, next to the heater, or the chiller water outlet. With the reading from the probe, you can set the controller to turn on\off the heater, chiller, chiller feed pump, and any cooling fan(s), you can also use the temperature reading to turn off your lighting system or other heat producing appliances in a event the chiller failed to cool the tank. I also setup a high temp and a low temp alarms to trigger an email when the temperature reading is outside the set normal range.

PH probes - You can use most hobby PH probes with a BNC connector on the Neptune controllers, I have been using the cheaper PinPoint brand probes for the last few years as replacements and never had a problem. They typically last 14-18 months before their reading drift too much and requiring replacement. The PH data log from the controller is very useful to learn the daily PH cycle your tank is experiencing, you will learn how your surrounding environment is affecting the tank PH and compensate for them appropriately. I use the tank PH reading to override the calcium reactor?s CO2 control valve in the event the tank PH falls below the optimum range, it will also increase my Kalk reactor?s stirring frequency to compensate the lower tank PH via top off kalk water. An alarm is also triggered when the PH reading is outside of the set optimum high and low values and I?ll get an email alert. A second PH probe can be connected in lieu of the ORP probe on ACIII, I use the reading from the second probe that is installed on my calcium reactor to control the CO2 valve on my calcium reactor and have found this very useful. I highly recommend skipping the ORP probe and get a second PH probe if you use a calcium reactor.

ORP probe - ? well, I never found this reading to be very useful for me. I had ran ozone in my FOWLR and the old ACII would display the ORP reading, since I never get more than 400mv, it never controlled anything. I use the ORP port on the ACIII Pro since it does not support a second PH probe. In addition to control an ozone generator, you can trigger alarms base on a set ORP value.

COND probe - this is the one thing I do not like on the ACIII Pro. I bought a COND probe ($120) and it never worked for a reasonable amount of time (longest is 35 days after a vinegar bath cleaning and calibration). After some troubleshooting with Curt at Neptune, included replacing the probe twice, making a dedicated drip cup for the probe to eliminate possible interference, re-calibrate the probe, and calibrate some more?.. Nothing helped. I now have the probe of a monthly cleaning schedule and ignore the alarm it generates. The probe reads the conductivity of the water; you will need to convert the reading (in ?S/cm) into either salinity or specific gravity value with a provided chart. The log generated when the probe worked is somewhat useful in learning the how temperature affects the specific gravity of the water thru out the day, nothing else. I original intended to use the probe?s reading to control a dedicated salt water top off unit to replenish salt water removed when I frag and give away corals, and automatic water changes. With the lack of reliability in COND reading, I scraped those ideas.

Dissolved Oxygen probe - I never seen one nor intended to drop $445 to find out if my skimmers are aerating the water enough to provide full oxygen saturation to the tank. I think I spent enough on the skimmer already.

Digital Inputs ? The ACIII Pro base unit supports up to 4 external digital input switch, the ACIII supports only two. These inputs can be use to trigger various program statements, I am currently using the inputs with plastic float switches to perform automatic top off. Other people have used the inputs with a high water level switch to shut off or turn on pumps, use Water Bug water alarm sensor to detect leaks, perform skimmer collection cup draining and auto wash downs, and other ingenious uses.

Expansion Modules - I just ordered a PX1000, it?s an expansion module to add on a temperature probe, two PH probe(or one PH and one ORP) and 4 additional digital inputs. I needed this so I can use a second PH probe to control a CO2 valve with the ACIII Pro. According to Neptune Systems? website, up to 7 expansion modules can be added to the ACIII, they will give you the ability to read 16 PH\ORP probes and 8 temperature probes. That?s a lot of probes and fish tanks.

Control Equipment:

I have used X-10 technology modules with my previous ACII?s and I was not happy with their performance, the signal used to turn switch units on and off was very prone to electrical interference. My IceCap 250W metal halide ballast was able to cause enough interference to turn on and off my heater and Fuge lights unexpectedly. With the purchase of the used ACIIIPro, I also bought two Direct Connect Modules (DC-4HD and DC-8) and I have not experience any issue with these modules so far. These modules are ?hardwired? to the base unit using a 4 wire cable with standard RJ11 plugs, each addition modules are daisy chained together. The maximum number of controllable outlets or modules on the ACIII Pro is 40 and the ACIII can handle a total of 24 outlet\modules.

I am using the 12 outlets from the DC-4HD and the DC-8 for the following:
Left Metal Halide
DC-8, Outlet 1
Right Metal Halide
DC-8, Outlet 2
VHO, Actinic Supplement
DC-8, Outlet 3
Chiller Water Feed Pump
DC-8, Outlet 4
Skimmer
DC-8, Outlet 5
Kalk Reactor Stirring Motor
DC-8, Outlet 6
Top Off Water Solenoid
DC-8, Outlet 7
Heater
DC-8, Outlet 8
Chiller
DC-4HD, Outlet 1
Refugeium Light
DC-4HD, Outlet 2
Cooling Fan
DC-4HD, Outlet 3

Due to the location of my CO2 regulator and bottle, I was not able to plug the CO2 solenoid in one of the DC modules so I am using a X-10 appliance module for control, I have not notice any interference issue but I am also not using any IceCap Electronic MH ballast in the same system. I also used a stand along alarm module but found it to be annoying and stop using it. The DC-8 and DC-4HD have a15 amp maximum total load rating with the DC-8 handling up to 6 amp per outlet and the DC-4HD is capable to switching appliances up to 12 amps per outlet. There is also a cheaper standard DC-4 version I have not tried.

You can plug pretty much any electrical equipment in your tank to either a Direct Connect outlet or a X-10 module and have the ACIII\ACIII Pro control it. The possibility is infinite and limited only by your imagination. The only caution is not to overload beyond the amp rating of each Direct Connect unit, the older units have internal fuses that are difficult to replace. Newer units have an external reset-able circuit breaker.

Set Up and Programing

A few people have told me they don?t like the AquaControllers because it requires difficult programming knowledge, this is simply not true. I never took a class in computer programming and I find it rather easy, once you have an understanding what you need to do.

These controllers? internal programs are accessible using a web browser once connected to your LAN (local area network). The direction to set up the network parameters in the Owner?s Manual is good (can?t say the same for much else in that manual), follow it and make sure you restart the controller by removing the power source after any changes to the network configuration. Yes, these controllers will work without being connected to a network, but you should save your money and buy a Ranco Temp controller, few Intermatic timers, and a Pinpoint PH controller, they will do the same for a lot cheaper and less frustration from trying to program the ACIII with the three buttons on the base unit.

The first step in programming is to identify which items you like to control in you tank and assign the correct switch address to them. The Direct Connect addresses are limited to group A to D and switch number 1 to 8 or 9 to 16. You need to create and assign a three letter name to each one of the items you like to control, than you associate the item to a Direct Connect outlet or X-10 Module address. Below are some examples from my system:

Item Name ? Outlet\Module ID
MH1$-B01
MH2$-B02
VHO$-B03
CO2&-A04
KLK&-B06
The symbol after each of three letter names control how the switch indication on the base unit?s LCD panel; The ?$? shows a light bulb symbol, a ?&? shows small square or a box symbol, a ?%? shows a up or down, and the ?#? shows a padlock in lock or unlock.

symbol_screen.JPG

Once the switchs are all sorted out, the writing of statements to turn your controlled items are easy. Below are few examples from my system:

To use a time commend to turn lights on or off:

If Time > 12:00 Then MH1 ON
If Time > 22:00 Then MH1 OFF

It?s a very simple plain English programming; remember to use the time in 24-hour format.

To use Temp reading to turn on and off fan, heater, and chiller:
If Temp > 79.0 Then HET OFF
If Temp < 78.0 Then HET ON
If Temp < 80.5 Then CHL OFF
If Temp > 82.0 Then CHL ON
If Temp > 79.0 Then FAN ON
If Temp < 78.5 Then FAN OFF

I also added two alarm functions based on the Temp reading
If Temp < 77.0 Then ALM ON
If Temp > 83.5 Then ALM ON

The statement below shuts down the metal halide for 30 minuets if the temperature reaches 84 degrees:
If Temp > 84.0 Then MH1 OFF
Max Change 030 M Then MH1 OFF

There are probably 100?s more different type of statements you can use to control different things, you can check Neptune?s forum on Reef Central to see what other interesting things people are doing.

Web Access and Email Alerts

These are the best part of these controllers!! I finally have both of my AquaControllers accessible from the Internet with the latest firmware update to the base units. Here are some screen shots of what you can see from the built in web server:

[Screen showing parameter log from the built in web server]
webserver.jpg

[Screen showing graphs generated by the built in web server]

programeditor.jpg

[Screen showing program editor]

aquacontroller.jpg

I am sure most of you can?t be online looking at the tank parameter all day and night, what to do? The ACIII and ACIII Pro have the ability to send you emails!! I set my controllers to email my cell phone when any of the readings are outside the set normal range and I also got one email per day listing the tank conditions, regardless if there is anything wrong. This thing is great; I will be alerted if the condition of the tank is not right while being thousands miles away. Once alerted via email, I can get online to access the ACIII or the ACIII Pro to check the graph and data log and try to figure out what is causing the parameter to go astray.

AquaNotes

You can now download a ?Lite? version of the Neptune System AquaNotes software for free, it only runs on PC?s, no MAC support. I am not sure what are the differences between the full version vs. the Lite version, since I have a copy of the full version from my old ACII and never had the need to use the Lite version. With the built in web server, I rarely use the AquaNotes to access the ACIII and ACIII Pro. Setting up the software to access the ACIII and ACIII Pro was a painful experience, I don?t understand some of the logic behind they way it is setup and the manual provided is not easy to understand. I would suggest not using the AquaNote with the ACIII?s, unless you want to have the switch event logging capability with is not available thru the web server, or you have $75 left over after buying all the DC modules and probes you need. I am currently in contact with a reefer who happens to be a computer programmer and ACIII owner too, he has written a program to capture the all the data and ported into either a database or your own web page. Here is an example, I will report on this more if I get it working on my computer and website.

Summary

I think the Neptune AquaController III is a great tool to monitor your tank, if you are away from it often. The price of the system is cheaper than anything I have seen on the market and the competitor can?t do as much. The additional capability on the ACIII Pro is not worth the extra $300 (not including the COND probe), I would skip the ACIII Pro unless you are looking to get the COND probe and is willing to clean it all the time. Neptune?s customer support is great, you can always get a hold of Curt on the phone or email during normal business hours, the Neptune?s forum on ReefCentral is very active and there are a few seasoned ACIII users that are always willing to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

gnatp2

Greek god
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Great review. I had actually been looking into a controller and this is a very thorough job. I was totally going to go for the PRO because of the conductivity probe, but you got me nervous now.

L

longfin

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
longfin

i am looking to purchase a neptune system, but i have a MAC computer at home which is a desk type, i also have a HP laptop when i travel, i want to monitor my aquarium when i travel. Is this a good system for what i need it for.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: