• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
New Ecotech Ecosmart Driver Review * UPDATED*

I just purchased one and should have it in the mail tomorrow. Granted,

I was one of those that were pissed when these upgraded drivers came out so shortly after the MP10s came out... I decided to try one out anyway.

I am upgrading a MP20 to MP40W ES (I figured it was time). Pictures and initial impressions will come tomorrow.

Price of the upgrade: $125

The Ecosmart drivers key benefits (realistically speaking for myself) from what I'm reading.

- Upgraded Driver Casing (sleek, LED's, More waterproof)
- Better Control adjustments now that we know where the dial stands with the LED display
- No more stupid glow because now the LEDs Dim
- 2 New Wave Modes (Even though I'll probably still use Reef Crest--we'll see)
- Better wireless capability (Maybe when I upgrade in the future it'll be useful)
- Battery Back Up display
- Adjustable flow for night mode and feed mode (very helpful!):thrash:

Initial Impressions:
Because I upgraded to the MP40, flow was immediately improved but there are quite a few things that I think current Vortech owners would appreciate.

-Finally you can see where you set the knob to for intensity. No need to bend your wrist to adjust the knob, it's on the face now and it has a nice sturdy feel.
-There's an on and off switch!!!
-I am trying out the new modes but will follow up when my corals are awake. So far though I do see a better reaction in terms of waves. I see the water surface being pulled back which is nice on my 4 foot tank given that I only have the powerhead on one side.
photo21.jpg

I received a nice package this morning at 9:30 AM-- Probably OEM packaging
photo10.jpg

Very Satisfied with Ecotech's documentation and service. It came with the following : Power Supply, Color Instructions, the Driver, and the best part... VELCRO!!!
photo11.jpg

Here is the Driver itself:
photo12.jpg

1. Take apart the old driver... Flathead really simple
photo20.jpg

2. Unplug the cable
photo15.jpg

3. Open the Ecosmart driver- it comes unscrewed so it's easy to open
photo16.jpg

4. Hook it up!
photo17.jpg

5. Important! Make sure your wires are tucked. I think it's smarter if you flip it over.
photo18.jpg
photo19.jpg

6. Screw the unit together using the 3 supplied screws. Make sure it's TIGHT because if it's not the knob won't fit on.

7. Last step. Make sure the little tab/indent of the knob is lined up with the inside. Hard to see because it's clear.
photo13.jpg

Last edited:

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
It comes with the MP40 Power Supply ($50) and the New Driver ($75) till April 30th.

I was under the impression you had to buy the existing upgrade kit and then the new driver on top of that. Then I spoke with them today and well... here I am. My wallet is lighter.

ari5736

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
Just upgraded the 3 on my 6' and I can finally sync across the length of the tank without issues. I like the 2 ecosmart modes, especially nutrient transport with wave maker in the program.

nyfynest22

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
i havent gotten them yet, was thinking of purchasing them but decided to wait i think echo tech is based out of pa if im not mistaking and so im sure it only takes a couple of days to get to ny i would imagine i got a email about these things last week from echo tech them selfs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: