dacaptain78

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
I am replacing the plumbing on one of my tanks. The bulkeads I currently use are slip x slip. I am thinking about using thread x slip bulheads this time around so I can srew in strainers on the inside of the tank.

I was wondering if there was any advantage of using the thread x thread bulkheads instead? I would just be worried that the thread portion on the outside of the tank might be leak prone. Any ideas?

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
it doesn't matter, just a personal preference. the drains are not under pressure so they usually do not leak. just add some teflon tape and tighten by hand you should be good to go

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I went with SLIPxTHREAD. You can wrap teflon tape a couple of times around to pressure fit the durso in your overflow and have a tight fit. Either way itll work for you. Just keep in mind if your overflow chamber has enough clearance all around to be able to screw the drain in or if the return pipe or overflow chamber itself will not let it spin.(If using an AGA type thats premade and the tee cant be removed off the downpipe) If enough clearance you can use threadxthread and will be perfectly fine

Last edited:

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I like thread x thread so that way I could take them off and reuse them, especially when I move around. It really helps when you can just unscrew the pvc transport the tank, and then rescrew the pvc without ever needing to cut or glue pvc to get it to work without leaking.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: