ryangrieder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
those skimmers are not going to do anything except give you a head ache and a flooded room. i know it sucks but you really cant cheap out on the skimmer. even if you have to wait a week or two to save up some more money....you'll be happy in the long run that you did. why waist 100 bucks on crap when u can waist 200 on gold? just my opinion

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
this is what im hearing i need in order to provide better filtration since im not using a canister filter, and provide benificial algae and micro-organisms that would otherwise be completely consumed by fish in the show tank.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
My suggestion... let us know exactly what you're setting up and what you want to keep and we can help guide you in the right direction.

A 20g fuge on a 90g tank isn't going to do nearly as much as a good skimmer will. (Not to mention the fact that 98% of the fuges out there aren't set up properly and barely do anything.)

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well i want to have the skimmer running in my fuge, possibly in a seperate chamber before the actual fuge cause ive heard it can kill of certain benificial bacteria. in the long run i want a few tangs, a couple large clowns, and a school of either blue/green chromis or cardinals, and then maybe some shrimp gobys in the main tank with tons of sps corals and some other sessile inverts.

beerfish

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ok... if you're planning SPS, scratch the fuge entirely. A small part of a 20g won't do a thing for you.

I have a 20g sump on my 75g. I run an ASM G3 skimmer, with a filter sock on the return and one on the skimmer output. I have a reactor for phosphate remover, and a kalk reactor through auto top off. Toss my return pump and a few probes in there (my heater doesn't fit), and you won't be able to squeeze a paperclip in the leftover space.

Fuges don't belong on reef tanks unless they're set up properly. You can't set up a proper fuge in your sump. If you really want a fuge, use a separate tank, with a very slow feed pump and a gravity drain into your sump.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well thats why i either wanted a hob or external skimmer. i was going to have an overflow drain on my main tank with and adjustable flow outlet for the fuge with a bypass to another tank, which is also gravity fed by the fuge, and which houses the return pump.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: