Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hi Folks,

My tds meter out of my RO/DI is reading 777 ppm. I have a 6 stage with an inline triple TDS meter. I just changed the battery and the cotton filter but for all outputs it still reads 777. Any idea why that may be happening
tdsmeter.png

Last edited:

Matt L.

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
For a reading that high and consistent, it sounds like the meter may be bad.

Did it rise up slowly or just start reading high all of a sudden? If suddenly, it's unlikely an RO/DI unit that is producing < 1 tds all of a sudden starts producing super high tds water, even with a mechanical failure. These meters have poor precision in the high range and when actually reading high tds water, the value jumps around a lot.

I assume you get the same reading consistently across all 3 channels?

I would borrow a pocket tds meter and check the output. If it's low (< 1) then your meter is bad.

Matt

Rebels23

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Thanks Matt. It just went high all of a sudden and it was the same reading across all three channels. I was able to borrow a pocket TDS meter and it showed the water being produced at zero ppm. So it looks like a bad meter.

scottlarmr

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a reading that high and consistent, it sounds like the meter may be bad.

Did it rise up slowly or just start reading high all of a sudden? If suddenly, it's unlikely an RO/DI unit that is producing < 1 tds all of a sudden starts producing super high tds water, even with a mechanical failure. These meters have poor precision in the high range and when actually reading high tds water, the value jumps around a lot.

I assume you get the same reading consistently across all 3 channels?

I would borrow a pocket tds meter and check the output. If it's low (< 1) then your meter is bad TDS aquarium.

Matt
I am reading high TDS (400s) with a TDS meter. I want to make sure it's not incorrect because of the calibration. Is there a way to check TDS without one of the digital TDS meters? Just watched the latest live stream and @Cory said he doesn't like using them so I was curious what the other ways are.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: