AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Currently I have a 125 gallon reef with some LPS and Zoanthids. Right now I have 2 Yellow Watchman Gobies, 2 Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Sixline Wrasse, 1 Green Chromis, 1 Lawnmower Blenny, 2 Cleaner Shrimp, 2 Peppermint Shrimp, and 1 Coral Banded Shrimp. So far everything is doing well, health-wise and bioload wise.

I've been researching "Marine Fishes" by Scott Michael, looking for reef safe fish that will not harass my shrimp and I would like to add the following:

2 Chalk Bass
1 Orchid Dottyback
2 Yellow Clown Gobies
1 Royal Gramma
1 Lamarcks Angel
1 Yellow Tang
1 Sailfin Tang

Not sure if I will add all of them due to size of the tank but that's the list I came up with.

Just looking for feedback on my selections and if they will be too many fish for my tank or compatibility issues.

Thanks very much!

Tangster

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The sailfin and yellow tang will have problems. Their body type is too similar so they will fight. You should go with either just a yellow tang or just the sailfin, or you could get 3 yellows or 3 sailfin. Not sure if u can mix them but the key is when you have tangs of similar body types then you need to get at least 3 so they shoal and don't fight.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You're not going to be able to put 2 Sailfin tangs together let a lone 3 in a 125, but the Sailfin and the Yellow tang will be fine together, so I wouldn't worry about putting them in the same tank. The Sailfin does get to be a good size, so if you're worried about a heavy bio-load that maybe something to think about down the line.

The problem is that you already have is a Sixline Wrasse, which will limit some of the fish that you have on your list, and possible other wrasse too. It will be a problem with the Royal gramma and the Orchid Dottyback, and possible the Chalk Bass too. So you may want to get rid of it or take a chance it may work out with some of the fish.

As for Reef safe fish, that wouldn't eat Shrimp, most of the smaller wrasse, especially fairy wrasse, are reef safe and wouldn't both Shrimp.

AquaDan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
You're not going to be able to put 2 Sailfin tangs together let a lone 3 in a 125, but the Sailfin and the Yellow tang will be fine together, so I wouldn't worry about putting them in the same tank. The Sailfin does get to be a good size, so if you're worried about a heavy bio-load that maybe something to think about down the line.

The problem is that you already have is a Sixline Wrasse, which will limit some of the fish that you have on your list, and possible other wrasse too. It will be a problem with the Royal gramma and the Orchid Dottyback, and possible the Chalk Bass too. So you may want to get rid of it or take a chance it may work out with some of the fish.

As for Reef safe fish, that wouldn't eat Shrimp, most of the smaller wrasse, especially fairy wrasse, are reef safe and wouldn't both Shrimp.

Thanks for the feedback. I most likely will not add the tangs. I'm more concerned about they're comfort than I am about the bioload so I'll probably wait on the tangs until I upgrade.

The Sixline unfortunately is an unanticipated problem. I should have added him last but he seems to be getting along with everyone except for my biggest yellow goby but I guess that's because they were all in the tank before him.

I would really like to add a flame angel but I've read that they nip corals.

albano

Saltwater since 1973
Staff member
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
The Sixline unfortunately is an unanticipated problem. I should have added him last but he seems to be getting along with everyone except for my biggest yellow goby but I guess that's because they were all in the tank before him.

I would really like to add a flame angel but I've read that they nip corals.

Remove the six line PERMANENTLY...they can become very aggressive fish, that are not easy to catch.

I have 4 flame angels in my tank now, and have never had a problem with a flame angel in a reef tank in ~30 yrs... Of course there is always a chance, but IMO worth taking for the Flame

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: