• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I finaly decided to get this project started.
I'm converting my 90 Malawi Cichlid tank to a fowlr setup.
I need suggestions for the live stock.
This fish is a must
6_emperorangelfish_1.jpg
I'll setup the tank just for him. I know it will eventually get too big for the 90. I'm going to buy the smallest I can find and in about less then a year I'm upgrading to a 180 fowlr.
The tank will have about 100 lbs of live rock, macro and rubble in the sump.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Here something that you may want to take into account, if you going to buy a small Emperor most likely you're going to get a Juv. It's going to take quite a bit of time to change and even then it mayn't change completely. You probably want to get an adult as it will have better colors. So if you're going to change the tank over, to a 180gal, in less than 1 year you may want to wait until then before you purchase the Emperor.

Last edited:

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Here something that you may want to take into account, if you going to buy a small Emperor most likely you're going to get a Juv. It's going to take quite a bit of time to change and even then it mayn't change completely. You probably want to get an adult as it will have better colors. So if you're going to change the tank over, to a 180gal, in less than 1 year you may want to wait until then before you purchase the Emperor.

Good points. I didn't know about the color change. I will take that into account when I make my final decisions.
Thanks for the input.

Psycho graphic

Trouble Maker!
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I will put another spin on this. Way back when (early '80's) I had a 150 FO and got a Juvi Imperator as I wanted to watch the color change. It took a long time for it to change completely and was not the most attractive coloring as the adult colors came up. But, it was very cool to have experienced something that not too many people get to see.

I will say if good adult coloration is your goal, I would do as Marrone said and get an adult. I would'nt suggest it to be your first fish in the tank, as they can be terrors on the other inhabitants, my Triggers would back down from my Imperator in a heartbeat, it was truly the king of the tank.

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
having had emperators before 1st let me say they are a great fish. marrone is correct in telling you that it does take a very long time to change. some more then others. if you want to enjoy the colors just buy the adult. make sure when you buy the fish there is no discoloration or spots. fish you can put with them depends on the order in which you put it in as well as aquascape. some are other angels, some tangs will get along with them. i wouldnt put predators with that fish only because i would prefer the colors of him and compliment it with other color fish. cleaner shrimps love them. just my 2 cents

matt

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I just secured 120 lbs of live rock. Picking it on Jan 7th.

Another question came to mind. Would it be a problem if I plump this tank to my reef's sump/fuge? The skimmer I will be using is the MR-3R (unless a few people can recommend a better skimmer for under $900 including pumps). The one problem that I for see is that all my equipment will be working at two times the load and if I have to medicate the fish.
My chiller can handle the load and the skimmer should be fine.

jf2381

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
having had emperators before 1st let me say they are a great fish. marrone is correct in telling you that it does take a very long time to change. some more then others. if you want to enjoy the colors just buy the adult. make sure when you buy the fish there is no discoloration or spots. fish you can put with them depends on the order in which you put it in as well as aquascape. some are other angels, some tangs will get along with them. i wouldnt put predators with that fish only because i would prefer the colors of him and compliment it with other color fish. cleaner shrimps love them. just my 2 cents

matt

I really would like to experience the color change. I don't really care how long it takes.

nycmat

nYo
Rating - 98.2%
55   1   0
depends on what you are looking for IMHO. asm with recirculating mod. there are people that will swear either way. i think its a mistake to combine them into the same system if you ask me. reefing needs to have certain qualities that the other doesnt demand of

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: