• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
alright i got a hippo tang 2 weeks ago from gq.it was doing great but yesterday i noticed it rubbing against the rocks it didnt have any sign of ich.today though is a differant day i noticed white specs all over its body:( .i chased it for awhile and finally caught it and put it in my 10 gal quarantine tank.i put some copper in but do i have to add carbon to the filter or just do a daily water change to tank.also whats the chances of all my fish getting it.they all look good as of right now though.and how long do i leave him in quarantine,i know that if you dont see ih it doesnt mean it still doesnt have it.:( :sigh:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Carbon or poly pads will remove the copper, so you don't want to use either. You want to treat for at least 2 weeks. Leave the fish in the Hospital tank and try not to feed that much. You don't need to do water changes unless you see the fish breathing heavy, at that point you should do a water change but you need to make sure that you keep the copper at the correct level.

Go to this website and do some reading.

http://www.petsforum.com/personal/trevor-jones/marineich.html

Very important, when using copper you need to get a test kit to make sure you're treating at the correct level. To little doesn't have an effect and to much can kill your fish.

Last edited:

Mr.First

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Duke , in my experience w/Hippo's. Dont get crazy (too late for that) I would have told you to just try to feed a few times a day (soak in garlic). Last thing to do is stress him out. Keep him healthy and happy and he will fight off the Ick naturally. That is one mans opinion and exprerience.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Copper Power is the best copper around, I use it myself. You can treat at high levels with it, well over the 2.5ppm that is need, and not have a problems with your fish stressing out or dying.

Copper Power works just like any other copper, so you're just seeing the ich drop off the fish but it's not dead yet, not does it mean that the fish is free from ich. There is ich still in the body of the fish that hasn't worked it way out through the fish body, where you then can see it.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
For 2 weeks after you see the last ich spore drop off the fish. as for acclimating him again, well it's just like when you get a new fish.

You want to move him into a tank without copper first, this will get any copper than maybe on him off before you move him back into the main tank. Then just start to acclimating process as if you're introducing a new fish to your tank.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
alright i might have stressed him out though/he looked fine in my main tank but when i moved him to the quarantine tank hes breathing heavy and staying in the corner behind the pvc pipes i put in there.ill keep my fingers crossed but i think it may be over for him:( .i used the water from my main tank for quarantine water he was eating in there but it just doesnt look good

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
I completely agree with this based on my experience.

Duke , in my experience w/Hippo's. Dont get crazy (too late for that) I would have told you to just try to feed a few times a day (soak in garlic). Last thing to do is stress him out. Keep him healthy and happy and he will fight off the Ick naturally. That is one mans opinion and exprerience.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
man my tank was doing so well how the hell did this happen.now im not going to be able to sleep.im going to get garlic extreme and try that.i know my clown tang is not going to do well in a 10 gal tank.man im so freaking upset.i feel like giving it a fresh water bath and hopeing for the best.why couldnt i see this before.sssshhhh!!!!!!!tttttttt

D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
224   0   0
Duke ,
Hippo tang are ich magnets .Try to calm down with adding fish in your tank ,IMO youre going to fast.

The more you mess with your fish ,the more stressed out youll make them .Try the garlic 1st

goood luck

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
well i am going to try to soak some mysis shrimp in garlic powder tonight and strain water and just feed the shrimp/tomorrow ill get garlic extreme.i have only introduced 5 fish since setting up my 110 1 1/2 months ago. ill keep hippo in qt tank but i cant put clown tang in there.im keeping my fingers crossed.im going to hold off on fish for a couple of months

Last edited:
D

DEEPWATER

Rating - 100%
224   0   0
well i am going to try to soak some mysis shrimp in garlic powder tonight and strain water and just feed the shrimp/tomorrow ill get garlic extreme.i have only introduced 5 fish since setting up my 110 1 1/2 months ago. ill keep hippo in qt tank but i cant put clown tang in there.im keeping my fingers crossed.im going to hold off on fish for a couple of months

I would say then thats 4 fish too many in 1.5 months :p

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: