A

Anonymous

I'm trying to field for ideas about how to remove a fishes from a reef tank (w/o tearing it apart, that is!). I'm trying to remove a Multicolor Angel (C.multicolor), but it won't cooperate with my acylic fishes trap. I don't know where it sleeps, and because of its cost, don't want to risk more dynamic methods of capture if I don't have to (e.g. fish and hook
frown.gif
, mild voltage shock
frown.gif
, etc.) I really don't know any other way to catch a reef fishes. BTW, anyone interested in this C.multicolor (a gorgeous, healthy fish), let me know. Preferably in LA. Removing to make room for a Centropyge hotumatua.

Leonard

A

Anonymous

Leonard,

The hook is not really that bad of an option. I have removed several fish (as small as damsels up to a med. sized tang) from my tank this way. A little hook is far less traumatic in the long run than chasing with a net or tearing up the tank. Go to a store that specializes in fishing (esp. fly fishing) and get barbless hooks. Bait the hook, have a net and a container ready, and be patient. Also tug the hook away from the other fish that approach. Good luck!!

A

Anonymous

We removed two tangs from our reef tank by feeding from a net. It takes a little patience and a couple of weeks but works well and it not too stressful to the fish. We feed from the net, after a few days the fish will actually swim right into the net to eat! It takes a while for the fish to get used to the net, but soon discover that is where the food is coming from and get used to swiming right into it to eat. When they do that it is pretty easy to scoop them out. It does take a little advance training though.

ET

A

Anonymous

I had a very aggressive Red-lipped Blennie and what I did, was I got a piece of netting material the width and height of the tank, placed two rocks on each bottom corner, via sewing pockets on the corner. Chased the fish to one side of the tank, dropped the netting, then proceeded to remove the rock from that area only. Luckily I don't have many corals, but what I did have loved the junk I stirred up. Fish did get a little stressed, but I had to get that Blennie out fast. He was on a mission to kill.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: