A

Anonymous

I'm new to this whole saltwater thing and I was wondering what would be better to get?
I'm looking to set up a display tank and lionfish look really nice. I'm just curious whats easier, hardier etc.
Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated
Thanks very much
Tom

A

Anonymous

Dwarf Lions are hard to keep, the Volitans, the Black Volitans, to be specific, is what I consider the most beautiful marine fish. Period. I kept one for 5 or 6 years, it was huge. Make sure if you get one that it will eat frozen meat, as you CANNOT feed it guppies and goldfish and expect it to thrive. Freshwater feeder fish do not supply the lion with the proper nutrient balance, and it will die. I used to go buy cheap salt fish ( damsels and that sort ) and give him a live meal, but the majority of his diet was frozen prawn, krill, silversides, stuff like that. Feed it every three to five days, they are binge feeders, not sit down to dinner types. They will engorge themselves to the point that you can see pieces of shrimp bulging out of it's guts. You'll see the live stuff wriggle in there a little ( I derive some sick satisfaction from this, but thats another thread
eek.gif
)

If you get a lion, you are limiting the diversity of other fish to keep with it. Anything that fits in the mouth goes there. THat means anything.......

I would get one. Hell, I would have one now if my girlfriend hadn't insisted on that damn percula clown. "Oooh, look how it wriggles in that anemone! How cute!!" No, look how it wriggles in that stomach!
biggrin.gif

Hope she don't read this or I'm in trouble I love you honey!
wink.gif

A

Anonymous

When you say huge... What do you mean. Also what size tank would I need. I agree with you about the beauty of lionfish. I like the red, but I have not seen a black in person
Thanks again.

A

Anonymous

He was 9 inches long. He had an 11-12 inch 'wingspan'. He was in a 120g. His mouth and throat when opened up wide were about the size of a golfball, a little smaller actually. His name was Mean Mr. Mustard. May he rest in peace....

Best thing about these guys is watching them eat. They are so swift and graceful, almost lying to the poor fish. "I'm not gonna hurt you, I'm just gonna watch you from WAAAY over here." THen BLAM in an instant that poor fish is history. I dig the way they dart at things they are gonna eat, and the way they tend to 'herd' their prey into a corner.

You know they are poisonous and it is strong enough to land you in the emergency room if you are allergic. Even kill you. It's kind of like bee stings, some people are allergic, some aren't. You susceptibility to bee venom has no bearing on your susceptibility to lionfish venom, so beware. THe symptoms are just like bee stings tho. If you get stung, get it under hot water. Put baking soda mixed with water into a paste on the wound. If you start to feel dizzy, or notice bad swelling, or trouble breathing/ getting enough air better get a ride to the hospital. Your throat is closing off and you could die....

Or it might just sting and go away.......

You need at least a 90gallon IMO. These things need some room to grow. Get a small one.. The big ones are harder to adapt to aquarium life, an old dog won't learn new tricks. Plus, if it even happens, getting stung by a small one will probably not affect you, and maybe even kick in your antibodies to make you immune to it. I never got stung by mine, I always had someone keep an eye n it while i worked in the tank. Feeding it b4 you get in there helps.

My Assasi trigger I had at the time, which was about 6 1/2 inches long, killed this lion, dug into it like it was a hunk of cheese. THen it died from being stung. Don't know if it's a triggerfish thing against lions ( THey tend to be bitchy and maybe they see a lion as a major threat? The color pattern and markings on a lion are a signal that they are not to be screwed with ), or just that particular triggerfish, but the damn thing killed my favorite pet. That trigger even bit me once while cleaning the glass.

Like my book?

------------------
My wallet lies at the bottom of my reef. Along with my brain.

A

Anonymous

I would have to differ on the matter of Dwarf Lions. I have had one for almost 2 years and he is doing great. I had to wean him from live food onto a more suitable diet, but after that all was well. I would suggest a dwarf over a full size because it expands the types of other fish you can keep. Since dwarfs stay alot smaller than regular lions, many fish won't fit in his mouth, so he can't eat them. I have a damsel and 2 percula clowns in the same tank. In fact, the lion is scaredof the damsel. Another thing to remember about Lions is that they are nocturnal. During the day mine would hover upsidedown under a shelf of LR and come out about 45 minutes before my lights went out.

If you would like, I have an info sheet on Lions that someone on another board gave me. I can forward it to you if e-mail me.

A

Anonymous

Is it possible to keep any crustaceans with a dwarf lion?

A

Anonymous

HI:
I believe that both lions are good calls, and if you want hardy you'll have better luck w/ the voilitans...the dwarfs while small do present a slightly different problem (low tolerance to lousey water quality)...however the key to both of them is weening them onto good dead foods.
This lionfish info sheet I suspect is the one i wrote and i have no problem w/ it being passed around.
As mentioned a volitans gets big and big fast...expect it to reach full size in about 1 yr, so regardless of how small you tank is now...you better be planning on a new one ASAP...the dwarfs of course stay smaller....the dwarf fuzzy being the smallest, the dwarf lion next, and actually fu manchus stay about the same size...failry small....fus are more interesting looking, but hide more often.....the dwarf fuzzy will be your best swimmer (and most active), but the volitans will be the hardiest. Tough call....good thing i don't have to make it....i bought all of them
frank

A

Anonymous

If you have the size tank go with the voltans.
Some other cool ones are the russels and atenna the attena and voltans are my favorite. they are probably the hardiest fish too keep other than damsels. The only thing is if you have a large full size lion it will eat any thing that fits in its mouth like some one said above.

A

Anonymous

FMarini,

Yes, it is your lionfish sheet. I found it extremely useful and hope you don't mind if I passed it along. The only change I made to it was to credit you with authoring it so it didn't look like I wrote it. I can't have people thinking I know what I am talking about.

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited 08 February 2000).]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: