A

Anonymous

i am going with a 130 gallon.....any suggestions..filter, heater....etc

thanksss

A

Anonymous

Are you prepared for the mess they will make together? Both of those species produce tons of waste so an efficient protein skimmer and filter will be necessary.

Also, a 130 will end up being WAY too small for the shark. You need something in the range of 300-500 gallons... the bigger the better.

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

A

Anonymous

I have both of these fish along with several others like a lion fish,Blue spot stingray, a couple of triggers and a miniautus Grouper.They are all in my 200 gal aquarium.My banded shark is 28" in long and my snowflake eel is 32" in long.You definaltly need a GOOD PROTEIN SKIMMER because they eat alot.If you are getting these two fish get atleast a 180 gal aquarium.Believe me these fish will need the space the 180 provides.If you Plan on getting more fish for your tank get a 200.If you get these fish you have to get a protein skimmer.GOOD LUCK!!

A

Anonymous

the man at the pet store said to geta 130 gallon....how much room does it need???
i was going to put live rock in the center so he could swim around.....is that alright???

A

Anonymous

What type of protien skimmer do you have???
how big is your eel, banned shark, in feet...and how long have you had them for??
What do you use for a cleaner>??? are yellow tangs fine , or do i need something else???

thanks

A

Anonymous

The skimmer that I run on my 200 is a Red Sea Berlin XL.It is rated for tanks up to 400 gal aquariums.I am thinking about getting another skimmer because it seems that this skimmer alone is not enough for this tank.I will problably get another Berlin XL.
My Shark is 2ft 4in and my eel is 2ft 8in.I hatched my shark from a shark egg that I got from my local fish store.I got it about it 2 yrs ago and has grown tremedously over the past years.I bought my eel from one of my friends last June.He was moving so I bought him because he was so big.He had The eel in a 240 gal.I also bought his lionfish from him.I feed my shark chopped clams and squid once every 2 days and feeder fish once a week.GOOD LUCK.Have anymore questions?

A

Anonymous

Man, I have to chime in hear on the side of not keeping a banded shark in a 130. WAY too small a tank for a creature like that. IMHO, sharks (all species) should belong on the list of restricted species for a responsible aquarist, along with gonipora, moorish idols, blue spot stingrays, etc. etc.
One other thing, I'd be careful taking a lot of advise from a guy who is keeping "lion fish,Blue spot stingray, a couple of triggers and a miniautus Grouper" AND a 2+ foot shark AND a 2+ foot eel, in a 200gal tank?!?!?!? geesh, why not save some money and stuff them in to a shoe box?

If this gets interpreted as a flame, well then, so be it. It's not personal, just my opinion. As Dennis Miller says, "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong"

TF

A

Anonymous

well cleveyank.........

By buying the shark at a pet store, and getting the information of what you need for it........when the man says oh you'll need 130 gaL. I would have to believe him....its not like i don't have the money....and said what the hell, let's put it in the smallest tank i can find!!!! I have had a marine tank now for 7 years.....i have always gone by the requirments...and maybe even bigger, to give the fish some room!! When i put up this post it wasn't for people to say hey this guy has no idea how to set up the tank, it was for anyone to help, by telling what kind of filter i should use etc, maybe the one that i want to buy is not that great, and someone that has a shark, has a better filter for it???? So really i came on this board to learn even more things. Not to have u say oh green peace,and you poster child?? and i can be so crtical, but i am good at it. If i see someone that is going to do something that will hurt the fish or buy a product that will.. do less then a product i know, i will not tell them geeeez you know....i'll just tell him, or ask him who told him to buy or do that..........and tell him what i would use or do!

A

Anonymous

Forgert the flaming it is too late now. You are gonna need a big tank and a big skimmer. You'd might as well get em now instead of buying stuff that will be replaced in a year and a half (essentially paying twice for something).

A

Anonymous

You are looking at almost the same inhabitants that I am looking at, although I won't be there for a year or so. In fact, PPFBOBB12 has the same setup I want, if you trade the grouper for another lion fish.

Anyway, from what I have read about sharks, you'd need a minimum of a 180 gallon tank for a bamboo (banded cat) shark. These can survive in such a small tank because they are a species of shark that normally cruises around reefs, lurking in crevases and caves. Most other species, like leapord and reef sharks need a huge tank because they are unable to turn tight corners or move backwards, like a bamboo shark can.

Anyway, I do think that the people are right when they say a 180 gallon tank or better with a huge protein skimmer. I don't know if you have any books but the most highly recommended one I have heard of is "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" by Scott W. Michael.

Try to learn as much as you can before you try this, but good luck.
Jered

A

Anonymous

The first thing you need to remember is that the guy at the fish store is going to be making money off of your purchase. I am not flaming any LFS, however it has been my experience that you buy "exactly" what you need only to find out you just wasted a large chunk of change. If you are going to be housing an animal that will eventually outgrow any tank you put him in, you may as well go as big as you can. Not only will it allow your shark more swimming room, but it will also give you more water volume to help deal with the massive ammounts of waste the shark and eel will produce. You will also need an extremely high quality skimmer to handle the bio-load, and possible some way of running carbon filtration to help polish your water.

I highly suggest you research this board as well as others (aqualink.com, reefcentral.com) for more information on keeping sharks. There is a vast ammount of information to be found on them, and it may change the way you look at keeping one.

IMHO, sharks are creatures that are better enjoyed in the wild. Nature intended these animals to roam vast spaces day after day, and a home aquarium just can't compete with the real reefs. If you do decide to get one, make sure you have a place to donate it to when it gets too big before you buy it.

Just my .02

A

Anonymous

Yes, so you have a 200 gallon??? I have been looking for prices etc...how much did your tank etc....cost??/ Where did u place the egg??? does it have to be in a certain postition?? How do i really force feed the shark??? and how wide is your eel?? is it a snowflake eel???
thanksss

A

Anonymous

mmmmmmmmm
Lets see a sand shark has a territory over a few hundred yards in diameter and some of the larger species roam for hundreds of miles and you are putting it into a little glass box.
And I saw in your earlier post you didn't even know about it's care before you bought it.
Hey but it is only a member of one of the major parts of the ecosystem. The predators weed out the sick and inferior which helps the gene pool. Ah but what the hell if I can keep it alive or not why not buy it anyway.
Gee no wonder the feds and the greenpeace freaks want to shut down our hobby.
I hate to be critical, however at times I'm rather good at it.
It's nice to know that their argument is being upheld by certain parties in the captive coral/fish community.
I guess when they call us inhumane and stupid there will at least be a few poster children who they can show on TV to back up their argument. "See,see, this guy had one and it got too big and he was driving around with this poor shark trying to give it to some aquarium that would take the poor animal off of his hands."
Gee why not dig a hole in the back yard and get a tiger shark. Or maybe two!
And I'm not sorry for Flaming you.

A

Anonymous

My tank is an Oceanic 200 reef ready aquarium with a matching Oceanic reef ready light granite stand.I purchased it from my local fish store for 1800 with stand.It cost me alot but its worth it in the end because I dont need to buy a bigger tank in the future because it is so big.Its measurements are 7x2x2.I also want to buy a large Austrailian Harlequin Tuskfish that is about 10 in, but that wont be for a very long time.I bought my shark egg from the same guy that sold me the 200.It cost me about 25.00.It only took 5 weeks to hatch it.It didnt eat for two days.

A

Anonymous

CMON FOLKS !!!!!!

Sharks, 10" long fish. Be under no illusions your setup will be TOO SMALL. Sorry but i dont even know how you could even begin to consider keeping such animals in such small tanks.

I have a 7foot by 22"w by 26"H tank and I consider it too small for my reef setup ( 1 Yellow tang/Coral Beauty, 2 Damsels and a pair of Clarkii clowns ).

To put it in perspective, would you keep a horse in a shed ????. Cmon dont kid yourself, an animal this size needs tankspace on a larger scale than you most likely can provide in a residential dwelling.

To keep such a creature in a tank size as you have detailed is CRUEL. IMO you should look to donate it to a public Aq. where it will have th space to live.

If the above seems over critical, well if it gets the message across and means the animal will get proper accomodation, heh its worth it.

Get some smaller fish for your tank, that in nature enjoy much smaller territorial ranges, result IMO a happier tank inhabitant.

Its the least we can do for animals we have taken from their natural enviroment.

Cheers

G1K

A

Anonymous

JBED

Just because you have the money and just because some moron at the LFS said it was ok does not make it so. Being the supposed member of the higher organisms on this planet, you have been placed in a position where you are to make good and ethical judgements with which how those lower creatures are dealt.

And you are not just a poster child for the coral and marine importation banning bandwagon to use as an example, but you make for a good argument for sterilization as well.

I cannot count how many times I've stood by in the LFS and heard some jerk with a tag saying I'm so and so, I can help, tell a novice the completely wrong thing either just to sell something or more than likely not know his @$$ from a hole in the ground about a subject.

All I can say is that I hope you get your shark. I hope you are very happy. God knows that the shark will lead a very lack luster life and it will be all your doing.
You will be the arrogant malfunct that put a large range beneficial preditor in a glass cell. Bravo my friend. You're probably the same kind of idiot that we'd see on 20/20 that would pay $5,000 to shoot a practically tame tiger in a fenced in pen as well. After all, you have the money so why not?

A

Anonymous

Here's how it breaks down guy. Would you keep a Great Dane in an efficiency apartment and house train it? No way. So leave the animals like sharks, skates, rays, and eels for the ocean. There are some things not meant for the home aquarist. Plus, the LFS just wants to unload a tank and fish, then when it gets too big sell you another tank. You may think you don't need our help in tank size, but it is painfully obvious that you know nothing about keeping a shark. My LFS had a nurse shark, and it was kept in a large above ground pool, and the owner thought that was small. Anyway, research your purchases ans spend your money wisely.

A

Anonymous

Please dont flame me..ok. But I too hatched 2 banded shark eggs about 10yrs ago. I thought it would be "neat". After they hatched I sold them because I had a reef tank and didnt want em in there. I had no idea how large these fish would get. I was a stupid teen. recently my lfs received 3 horn sharks. How big do these sharks get? I want to be able to let the owner know, she is a good friend and has someone else handle the ordering for her saltwater stock. she doesnt know much about fish because its really a bird store(& I know what youre going to say next, i agree) but she wants to do whats best, but she trusts the wrong people in her fish room. thanks for any info ~aunti
smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi Auntie,

There are *no* sharks who's maximum length is *smaller* than approximately 3 ft., and I believe that the horn shark's max length is 3 ft.

HTH,

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

A

Anonymous

epaulette sharks usually dont grom over 2 or 3 feet the best sark species for the aquarium if you must keep one I wouldnt recommend anything under 240 gals though. Horn sharks are a coldwater species so stay away from them if you dont have chiller.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: