A

Anonymous

I heard freezing and boiling in order to break down the cellulose. Do both work? Is one better than the other? Can you steam the lettuce? How long do you boil/steam it?

Thanks!!!

A

Anonymous

I like to freeze my Romaine because I find it keeps longer that way. I basically cut the bottom off a whole head, rinse it, dry it and then put it in a plastic bag in the freezer. The family gets the little pieces and the Tang the choice larger ones.

I used to microwave the fresh romaine as I needed it but I found the freezing easier and a whole head would last longer without going bad. Boiling and/or steaming is too time consuming for me.

I don't think you need to "cook" it. Simply put it in until it's limp.

George

A

Anonymous

Use Nori. You can find it at most asian markets and it is cheap and much better for your tangs. You can get 100 12x12" sheets for about 7.00$. They love it and other fish learn to eat it as well. It is much more nutritionaly complete that lettuce and does more than just fill their bellies with cellulose. It contains all kinds of vitamins and stuff they need to stay stress free and bring out their brightest colors. Stay away from the roasted or flavored varities. You want sun dried Nori.

Zerah
Lawton, OK

A

Anonymous

I dont prepare lettuce....cause I dont feed it.
wink.gif

IMO, terrestrial foods are a poor source of nutrition for marine animals. I would switch to selcon soaked nori if I were you. Else in the long term I fear that you will end up seeing nutritional deficiencies.

------------------
Dan
Minotaur15 on #reefs
http://www.tcnj.edu/~maughme2/

A

Anonymous

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. Chaquita (my yellow tang) will appreciate it...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: