A

Anonymous

I'm having problems with hair algae - never had this problem in my other tank so I don't really know why. Can't think of anything I do differently between the two tanks (except the one with the problem has VHO lights and the one without hair algae has NO lights).

I have turbo snails and hermit crabs in there as well as a sailfin tang and a blue (hippo) tang. Neither tangs eat the hair algae.

My LFS recommended a sailfin blenny and said they are vegetarians and will "rip out" the hair algae? True? Will they also rip out my macroalgae? There's really not much information on the net except for a picture. Is there anything bad about these fish? I have a mandarinfish and don't want any competition for his food.

Your help would sure be appreciated! Thank you to all that answer.

Ann

A

Anonymous

Carlos(aka Sailfin Blenny) is a wonderful fish. I've had him for 6 months now and he hasn't harmed a thing even though he gets bullied around by Antonio(aka Bi-Color Blenny). He seems to chomp the glass and rocks, but I really haven't seen him chomp on hair. I have some hair on rock, and he hasn't eaten it at all. I think the only luck I've had for hair removal is snails. Oh and he is no problem with the mandarin. No competing at all. But he does love live brine, but not a hog.

[This message has been edited by nymph (edited 13 January 2000).]

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: