A

Anonymous

Hello, and TIA for your input,

My LFS has a powder blue tang that is about 6" long. One of the largest and most beautiful I have ever seen. I am considering adding it to my 150 gal, but am conserned that he may not have enough space (5ft long tank), and not knowing how hard they are to keep. Also, will it fight with my purple tang?? I kind of doubt it, but... I am curious about how well they take to prepared food and long term survival. Thanks!

------------------

When did this become a habit instead of a hobby???

A

Anonymous

Adam

I'm no pro, but I put a powder with a yellow
an they did fight. I keep saveral types of fish in my systems and tangs dont mix very
well, Powders seem to be harder to keep
than yellows they comedown with ick very
easy.

David

A

Anonymous

Yes, powders are the most delicate of all the tangs. I would say that I would only have one in a tank by itself with no stressors from outside sources. They are the epitomy of Ich magnets.

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

A

Anonymous

If I may ask, where do you get the information that powder blue's are so hard?

I own one, after reading in Baensch that they are one of the hardiest of the tangs (and the most aggressive). Mine survived my complete and utter stupidity when after only two days in the tank I compromised my bio-filtration (I dipped my biggest rock). He slowed down, but now he's back to normal. Never a sign of any disease.

This is totally in line with what Baensch says about them.

I keep seeing all over the place that these are ich magnets. Can someone please tell me where you find that? I find it strange that this would be so different than what such a respected author says (and what I have found, at that)

Lisa

------------------
www.lisa-jill.com

A

Anonymous

I kept a powder blue in a 72gal fish only with a yellow tang for 5 years. When I first got it it was stressed and it came down with ich. The ich went away on its own. The two tangs did not fight as the blue was way more aggressive and the yellow stayed away. They did eat a whole lotta seaweed/alga and everything else.

Lisa

A

Anonymous

I think I remember reading that Powder Blues don't ship well and are easily stressed. I would guess that if you have no stressful factors in your tank, then the powder would do just fine.

Most of the 'evidence' that I have is anectdotal, and I am sure that it probably comes from those inexperienced reefers that were unaware of the requirements of a powder blue.

Almost all fish, when provided with the right requirements will do great and are hardy! Sounds like you two have been doing things right. Congrats!
smile.gif

------------------
E >< () !) !_! S

A

Anonymous

Scott Michael wrote about the difficulty with these, the powder browns, and achilles in AFM a couple of years ago. Among other things, he suggests big tanks (greater than 4') with lots of swimming room. In my experience both the successes and failures with powder blues that I have seen have been dependent on the individual fish -- some do well, some don't (you always hear stories of people who have kept moorish idols and regal angels for 10 + years and that eat like pigs!In reality for every success like this there are a lot of failures) On a more promising note Terry Seigel wrote an article in AF a couple of months back. By the look of his new 10' tank in the new Marine & Reef annual his tank is definately tang friendly!

A

Anonymous

I've kept many tangs over the years, including poder blues, and there is one thing that is a constant with tangs and that is "there are no constants with tangs." As has been pointed out, one will do well while another of the same species in the same environment will do poorly. I could go on about which tangs have done well/poorly in my reef tank but as they all seem to do differently, it probably wouldn't be of much help to you. I would suggest that if you buy it, make an arrangement with the LFS that you can return it if it doesn't get along with your purple tang.

A

Anonymous

Lisa- you should keep in mind that books are a great source of information in regards to maintainance, water chemistry, and anything of a timeless value. But the hardiness of fish actually changes. Over the course of time collecters use different practices and collect from differenct places. This has a very big effect on the quality and hardiness of a fish. A healthy powder blue tang which is properly quarinteened in a tank this size should thrive. In general it is not really a difficult fish to keep. But, if it does not ship well or adjust to your methods, they do not always respond to hyposalinity treatment well. As far as compatibility, adding an Acanthurus tang to a tank with an existing Zebrasoma is usually not a proble. - good luck - Mark

A

Anonymous

For me atleast it goes without saying to leave the fish at the shop for a maximium time (in this case it wasn't intentional - I noticed the powder blue but it didn't register
wink.gif
and to make sure they're eatting and in maximum health. Since I've done this I haven't had a problem with a fish ....

I do research the fish I buy, and it's not just for me but everyone on here says 'but this book, but that book' - I agree with this but you bring up a good point.

That's why I asked
smile.gif

------------------
www.lisa-jill.com

A

Anonymous

I've had my Powder Blue for three years now in a 58 gallon without a problem. I wouldn't add one to a reef, mine loves to graze. Mine also loves Romaine lettuce.

Wayne...

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: