A

Anonymous

Any info on keeping a maj angel alive and happy?

Feeding
tankmates
filtering etc

A

Anonymous

If you are talking about Pomacanthus navarchus, You'll need a minimum tank size of 75 gallons, though 100 would be better.
This is not the easiest of angels to keep, it is kinda shy. Feed it a varied diet including nori, and that frozen angelfish food.
Personally I would make sure this is the dominant fish in the tank.
Make sure there is plenty of live rock in the tank and have a good skimmer.

Jason

A

Anonymous

I kept one in my 150g reef for 6 or 8 months, but had to catch him because he was nipping at my coral polyps (SPS only).

Mine was 3" and was very difficult to get eating prepared foods. It took 2 weeks before he was comfortable eating (in his own tank too).

HTH
James Wiseman

------------------
Reefs.org Channel Operator

A

Anonymous

Never had any problems with My Navacrus Angel. It was even in a bucket w/ a bat. operated air pump for over 6hrs when its 90gl tank was moved. It is dominant. Mine eats Angel Formula, formula 1, 2, VHP formula, Marin A pellets(I add Selcon to this). ITs a great fish. Its tank mates are 2 percula clowns(used to be 3, dont know what happened to the 3rd), 1 bangi cardinal, 1 rainfords goby. Good luck, anyother Qs Id be happy to help.
Eric(Eric_H in #reefs)

A

Anonymous

I'll second what Jason said, and add a couple things.

Majestics do not ship particularly well, and can be hard to acclimate. Often difficult to get eating, although those that survive eventually take most foods. Because of the difficulty in shipping and acclimating (and I believe the fair possibility of cyanide on these), this is a species where it is well worth the extra to get one from a "premium" dealer like Marine Center unless you have a very good LFS. Buy with care.

As Jason says, they are somewhat shy. If they are bullied at feeding time they won't eat. When happy, they are pigs. Make sure it has plenty of potential hiding places or you'll never see it. Colors often fade somewhat in captivity. Feed a varied diet.

I kept a medium sized one (~4") in a 55 for a year (lost to a power outage) and it was fine, but I agree with Jason on tank size, really should be bigger. This was a full reef, and it never bothered anything, although it did keep the Coral Beauty in line.
smile.gif

------------------
fwiw, imo, ime, ymmv, etc.

[This message has been edited by Gannet (edited 21 February 2000).]

A

Anonymous

Mine nips at SPS, but never does much damage. I've had it for 3 years in a 110 reef system. They will pick at open brain type corals, and are indeed quite shy.

- Greg Hiller

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: