A

Anonymous

My lfs has a small snowflake eel that I'm very interested in bringing home. However, I want to know what requirements they have. My lfs said that they are very easy to keep.

My questions are:

How big of a tank do they need?

How fast do they grow?

Do they have any special requirements?

Are there any really good websites on them?

Any other thoughts or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks,

revoohc

A

Anonymous

I had snowflakes before in fish only tanks.They are very hardy and don't require a lot of room.They eat live food or can be trained to eat frozen.One thing you have to watch for is they will crawl through the smallest holes to get out of the tank.Mine got out and was almost like cardboard when I found him.I put him back in the tank and after a few minutes he was just fine.This is how I know their hardy. How big is the one your looking at and what do you plan on keeping with him?They will eat small fish if it can get them in his mouth.

A

Anonymous

I had a snowflake in my 75 and grew about 4" in 3 months, I fed him mainly on silversides since snowflakes have terrible eyesight and have to rely mainly on the sense of smell. you will mainly have to target feed at first depending on the other inhabitants. I had mine in with two triggers who would eat the silversides before the eel could get to it. also make sure you have lids on your tank as this eel is notorious for escaping and i dont think you want to wake up in the middle of the night to get some milk and come across a 12" eel in your path...

------------------
My 180 Utopia: Updated 5/17/00

A

Anonymous

The Snowflake I purchased last year grew to a length of about 18". For a 90 gallon reef, it was a sight to see (while it was small, less than 10"). It did dig under the rock structure and made pretty much made itself at home. It was fed headless/tailess shrimp (about 2-3") twice a week. After it reached it's current length, I had no choice but to return it back to the lfs. But, that was just my experiance with a snowflake. They are reef safe and luckily, the one I had didn't jump out of the tank. Good luck

fish5.gif

------------------
Improve your Digital Photos :)

A

Anonymous

I've kept numerous eels in the past, and a 75gal sounds good as this eel gets to about 30" or so. Eels tolerate less than perfect water but this can lead to refusal to feed. If water quality is fine some may still go off feed for weeks!. Very hardy though.

A

Anonymous

These guys must be hardy.....I bought one approx. 3 mos. ago, and he was fine and dandy in my 75 gal. reef tank for 3 or 4 days. I never saw him again. (I did notice my peppermint shrimps and smallish golden head sleeper gobies dissppear)....
Anyway, I assumed he died. Last week while cleaning my sump under my tank, I noticed a shadow in the pre-filter box (that is built into the rear of my tank). Sure enough, the snowflake eel has been living there for 3 months. He seems very happy (nobody bothers him), and he gets great water flow, and occassional feedings from extra food in teh overflow. At first, I was concerned about removing him, but, after speaking with several folks, I figure what the heck....he's happy, and he can't eat my shrimp or other small stuff.

ss

A

Anonymous

I have a 20" snowflake and a 30" zebra moray eel in a 90 gallon tank. Both get along great with their tankmates - a couple of small triggers, a soapfish, and a small percula clown. The eels tend to curl up with each other during most of the day. All tank openings must be secured with eggcrate or the like. I feel my eels large chunks of fish/squid/krill (soaked in selcon) 2 times per week on the end of a feeder stick.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: