A

Anonymous

I love the different fairy and velvet wrasses. Actually I thought the neatest fish ever was a baby dragon wrass - too bad they aren't as pretty when they get bigger.

Which wrasses (if any) can I keep together and how territorial are they? I've got a 75g and it's been set up since February - the only fish in it right now are 4 green chromis which are doing great. It's time for a new fish.
icon_smile.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cirrhilabrus sp. (fairy/velvet wrasses) is arguably my favorite genus. For a 75 gallon, I recommend no more then 2 adult Cirrhilabrus. Scott Michaels mentions that Cirrhilabrus are aggressive towards congenors, but it's my experience (and several others as well), that two different species can be put in the same tank with little to no problems. However, it's highly recommended that you introduce them at the same time, or the smaller specimen first.

Two conspecific males (and to some degree, females) will fight. However, Cirrhilabrus is completely nonaggressive towards any other species of fishes, including other wrasses. And although peaceful, they will hold their own against aggressive feeders. A genus that does not get picked on, and does not pick on others ... the perfect combination.

A better option is to stick with one species, and introduce a male/female pair. Cirrhilabrus are haremic fishes, and it's ideal to have one male with 3-5 females. Unfortunately, your tank size wouldn't be able to house more then a pair (comfortably).

The readily available Cirrhilabrus I recommend: C.scottorum, C.jordani, C.solarensis, C.exquistus, and C.luteovittatus. All Cirrhilaburs species are desirable, but these are relatively affordable, usually available, and very gorgeous.
Pardon my spelling if any is inaccurate.

Keep in mind to have the tank covered (or at least the canopy). All jump when spooked or mating.

And then there are the other genus of wrasses that are almost as fascinating ....

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parachelinus sp. (flasher wrasses). These guys are like miniature versions of Cirrhilabrus. They aren't as hardy, and are very shy; they're always bullied, and never bullies. Like Cirrhilabrus, they're haremic, so one male should be housed with 3-5 females. Because of their small size, your tank will accomodate up to 6 specimens. Just keep in mind that if you choose Parachelinus, you won't be able to husband aggressive fishes in the future.

All in all - in a quiet tank - these guys make a very colorful additional to any tank.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pseudochelinus sp. Don't know what the common name for these guys are, but this genus includes the popular sixline wrasse. This genus comprises of small species, none growing larger then 4". All are moderately peaceful towards other species, but they will not tolerate same species in the same tank.

Pseudochelinus oscellatus (Mystery Wrasse) is, IME, the prettiest and hardiest Pseudochelinus ever. Alas, it's endemic to deepwater and thus expensive. The sixline (P.hexataenia) is the only other specimen of this genus I'd consider; the others are generally more difficult to maintain ("eightline" P.octotaenia comes to mind).

Like all wrasses, they jump too. Same waring about the covered tanks.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh ... this is getting too long
icon_smile.gif

Another "wrasse" genus to consider is the hogfish, genus Bodianus. Yes, they are wrasses (Order Labridae). They're peaceful towards most inverts except for ornamental crustaceans. Conspecifics and congenors will fight, so limit yourself to one Bodianus per tank. Will usually not bother with other fishes.

Some species get very large, so keep this in mind. Large specimens may eat small fishes (like Chromis).

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Leonard,
I have a weird aesthetic thing about fairy wrasses. Whenever I see them in a store, and even in pictures they look kind of goggly eyed and their fins are clamped down. Is that how they typically look? 6 or 4 line wrasses however, have a nice oriental look to their eyes and better fin carriage. I think you have posted pics of Pseudochelinus oscellatus in the past. Is that also sometimes called white-barred wrasse? Super nice little fish.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coris wrasses are a possibility, but are very risky for reefs (more so then Dwarf Angels Centropyge sp.). Juveniles generally dispaly a different morphology then adults, and are usually beneign in reefs. But some species grow up to be clam and worm eaters, and can tear up a reef tank pretty badly. And all are terribly efficiently benthic hunters that can strip your tank of plankton (Some Pseudochelinus sp. can too, but to a lesser degree). Ornamental crustaceans is a prey item as well.

Also note that Coris wrasses sleep in the substrate. They literally bury themselves. May not be the best if you're concerned about disturbing your substrate.

These guys are more aggressive then the other wrasse genus. Although colorful, i don't endorse this genus (for all the aforementioned reasons).

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lastly ... Halichoeres sp. is a iffy genus for reefs. H.melanurus would be the only one I'd attempt in a reef.

[edit]Since it's pertinent to another thread, I'll expound/correct msyelf on some information: There are a few other Halicoeres sp. that have proven to be fairly reefsafe. Halichoeres chrysus - the canary wrasse/yellow coris (misnomer) - is a relatively reef-safe fish, compared to the rest of the genus. Others include H.iridis and H.ornatissimus. Again, these are all still risky; H.chrysus would be the best bet, followed by H.melanurus. This genus is the largest of all Labridae, so it's hard to generalize.

Also, note that these guys are like coris wrasses in that some dive into the substrate for cover. Another similiarity is that they are terribly efficient benthic hunters, and will munch up all your good detrivores in a short time. Lastly, some species get huge, like Coris. They might look cute and harmless when young, but seeing a 24" adult version may convince you otherwise!

If it were me, I'd stay clear of Halichoeres sp. and Coris sp.

All in all, Cirrhilabrus and Parachelinus are the only two genus that are wholly plantonic, and won't bother a thing (inverts or fish). Pseudochenilus is coral and clam safe, but do hunt a desirable infauna like detrivores. All the other genus are more dependent on individual species.

[ September 14, 2001: Message edited by: Leonard ]

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dan,

All Cirrhilabrus have "goggly" eyes. But they're fins shouldn't be clamped. They're active fish that are constantly swimming during the day. At night, they'll find a snug hole in the rocks and emit a mucus net where they sleep.

Cirrhilabrus are the ideal reef fish because:
1. They eat absolutely no ornamental inverts.
2. They're peaceful towards all fishes except conspecifics.
3. They are aggressive enough not to be bullied by any reef-safe fish.
4. They feed anything you throw in the tank.
5. Their colors and patterns are second to none.

The Pseudochelinus oscellatus is also known by Five Bar Wrasse. Picture of one is on my website (listed below).

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a C. cyanopleura in my tank. Everything the previous posters have said is true of this little guy. He's my favorite fish. A real cool guy who's always out in view during the day but who really knows how to hide in a little hole to sleep. He will beat the tangs to the frozen brine!
icon_biggrin.gif

Mabu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasses rule!!

Here's my painted fairy wrasse..

aq081501-25-fairym.jpg

And my favorite - I'm looking for another Pseudochelinus oscellatus - if anyone sees one, let me know!

aq0827-12-mysterym.jpg

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know a whole lot about reef safe wrasses except the flasher wrasses and fairy wrasses are good for your reef (not that they're good, they're just compatible). One thing I have heard, though, is that all wrasses eat crustaceans. Don't know if this is true, but I've heard they will eat (even the fairy and flasher) hermit crabs readily, although some think you shouldn't have any in your reef anyway. As far as non-reef wrasses, which you may or may not have been referring too since you mentioned the dragon wrasse, a lot of them can be very aggressive. I have had coris wrasses (formosa and gaimard) and they were not too aggressive as juveniles, but the Thalassoma (?) family of wrasses is very mean (I think this is what a lunare is). I had a lunare wrasse that liked to tear the stomachs out of the other tank inhabitants, and he did it to a few before I figured it out and returned him.

[ September 07, 2001: Message edited by: davelin315 ]

acecool

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So does fairy and flasher EAT cleaner or pepermint shrimps?
icon_confused.gif
and, do I really absolutely need anything covering my open tank? Thanks
icon_cool.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some Cirrhilabrus species (ie fairy wrasses) may eat ornamental crustaceans, but it's usually not the norm. For example, C.jordani (Flame Wrasse) is reported to feed on benthic crustaceans in the wild, but this is not often reported in captive reefs. Flasher wrasses are less likely to eat crustaceans (I actually have not heard of a single report). Paracheilinus' morphology is not conducive to predating the hard carapace of the larger, ornamental crustaceans.

Mabu,

Both FFexpress and TheMarineCenter have P.ocellatus in stock. Prices are close to $200. If you already have one, I recommend against getting a second, unless its for a seperate tank.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ace,

a covered tank or fully enclosed canopy is imperative if you want to husband wrasses (and other fish like firefish, most gobies, eels, etc.) I've lost a couple of wrasses from jumping, and would not ever go without an enclosed canopy again.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a canopy on my tank, but the back is open - I've read here that they've found the tiny openings in the back and got out. How would you recommend sealing that off? Also, what about the lights? Can't be good if he jumped up and hit the light. I've got PC's.

Anyone have the scientific name of Mabu's? Or pic's of their own? I had no idea there were so many.
icon_smile.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First pic is a Cirrhilabrus luteovittatus (Orange Bar Fairy Wrasse). Second pic is Pseudocheilnus ocellatus (Mystery Wrasse).

I cover the back of my tank with Eggcrate and nylon mess (allows for circulation). As for lights, I've heard reports (I think from jamesw) of Cirrhilabrus jumping into 400W MH and surviving. Mine have banged VHO bulbs with no negative consequences, so I'm sure PC's will have little effect.

sawcjack00

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also love wrasses. I currently have a Carpenter's wrasse and a flame wrasse in my 125. Both are happy and healthy and absolutely beautiful.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: