Clearblue303

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me :
-how big they grow(in how much time)?
-compatibility(I have 2 eng.gobys and 1 flame goby)?
-eventually sexing them?
-feeding
-any special care?

Thanks.FM
icon_rolleyes.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
-how big they grow(in how much time)?

No more then 5". Usually about 4". Fast grower species that will attain adult stature in under 3 years.

-compatibility(I have 2 eng.gobys and 1 flame goby)?

No probs here.

-eventually sexing them?

Nope. They aren't sexable.

-feeding

Any fleshy foods high in protein and fat. Chopped seafood from the supermarket is great, or packaged frozen aquarium food like those made by Ocean Nutrition (available at your LFS). It may feed on the worms in your tank.

-any special care?

Provide a deep sandbed for them.

More info in a previous thread: http://www.reefs.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=028773

JennM

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halichores chrysus

According to Scott Michael the get to be about 4.7" and I'd be inclined to agree but I have seen one about 6" long once, in a 600 g tank.

I've kept two. One I had about 14 years ago, he jumped and went floor surfing, we saw him and put him back in the tank. Couple of months later he went AWOL and we thought he was a kitty snack, but found him in the SUMP about 6 months later
icon_biggrin.gif
Put him back in the main tank where he lived the rest of his days. I can't remember how long we had him but it was a long time.

The last one I had I got in early August 2000. Bought him MO and he arrived with ich, missing scales and his tail was all torn. Nursed him back to health, and all was well til a few months ago, he appeared to develop an internal parasite. Treated that and he was on the mend, but something else got him. I think his immune system was weakened and something else got the better of him. Had him only about 13 months.

GREAT fish..they sleep in the sand, they are inclined to jump but there are an animated and colourful addition.

As for sexing, not sure, but I know that I've read about some going "super male" and developing nice green stripes around the head area. I've read about this but have not seen it for myself.

I think they will not bother your gobies. I've kept mine with seahorses (14 years ago...not recently I "know" better now! Had no probs though), clownfish, a P. annularis, coral cats (look a bit like engineer gobies), he didn't even bother feather duster worms, however they are a risk with ornamental shrimps, snails and fanworms...so use good judgement.

Most recently I've housed one with Coral Beauty, clowns, citron goby, pyjama cardinal and 6 lined wrasse.

HTH

Jenn

Dargason

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one. It's a active fish, spending its days searching the rocks for food. Its tank mates are a (juevenile) percula and a "randall's shrimp goby". It seems to get along just fine, although the goby doesn't like him getting to close to his cave.

Does anyone else have any more experience with this fish? I am considering moving mine to mine new 200 g tank, but I'm concerned about the comments that he may be a risk to fanworms, snails, clams, etc. He hasn't bothered anything in my 20g tank, but I'm going to have lots more stuff in my 200g, including clams.

Mike

Clearblue303

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys!
The fire g. is bigger than the wr. but was a bit scared after the wr. was introduced.
Should be OK.
The wr. is very active,first started to pick the sand.
My instinct says-is a jumpy fish.
What amazed me that at one lfs they don't have top on the tanks at all.
I'll close all holes.

icon_wink.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep..He's a jumper. I had one for about a year before he went carpet surfing. Great fish though. Keep in mind decimated my pod population and ate my pepermint shrimp. Other than that he was a great addition to the tank. Never bothered the other fish.

Purple Tang
clarkii clown
2 True Perc
Blue Damsel

-Greg

hreef

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow coris wrasse. He's a really neat fish. Always searching for something. Mine is very docile. I think he even eats the flats worms for a snack.

Clearblue303

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now what???
I came home and is no wrasse.
Not around the tank,not inside.
Everything else is normal(fish,corals).
No room to jump.It can't be sucked by the PH,they have fine grill and sponge around.
Possible theories:
- the tank is full with LR hiding places(it hides)?
- can it be in the counch shell?
- the bouble coral ate it?
- is dead, stuck somewhere?
- sleeping in the sand,day time?
Well I'll feed and see after.
icon_confused.gif

Mustang

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you find it. I have 2 mine sometimes hide for half a day even.

Btw one of mine has the green stipes as talked about above the other does not
M/F ? but they get along fine

BBReefkeeper

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ClearBlue-
If you have a DSB they burry themselves often. Mine also burries himself for a day or two sometimes. If you startle him (put your had in to clean the glass) he will dart into the sand and you can find out where he lives.
Enjoy
Bryan
icon_smile.gif

Clearblue303

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I checked all around the tank,sump,no sign of it.
I was at lfs today and they told me that they hide for a while when new in the tank.
I have CC,thick enough.
After first night so happy and active,I wouldn't imagine to hide for so long.

Well,thanks!
I'll keep informed.
FM
icon_rolleyes.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: