Jacob1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into buying one of the following Wrasses as the showfish in a 50 Gallon reef. Leaning towards the Scotts or Lineatus or Flasher. Do I need to buy a supermale or can I buy a small one and it will change. How hardy are these wrasses? Compatible tankmates? Good or bad aspects of keeping them in a reef?

I appreciate any experinces or opinions. Which of these species would you suggest?

Lineatus Fairy Wrasse Cirrhilabrus lineatus
Orange Bar Fairy Wrasse
Psychadelic Head Wrasse Halichoeres melasmopomas
Australian Scotts Fairy Cirrhilabrus scottorum
Flasher Wrasse
Purple & Blue Fairy Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura
Hawaiian Flame Male Cirrhilabrus jordani

purple_tang2001

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scott's fairy in my 55 reef, And to me there is no better reef fish, Harms nothing and keeps to himself. Does not shy away when you are messin with your tank or viewing it. They are notorious for jumping out.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into buying one of the following Wrasses as the showfish in a 50 Gallon reef.

A 50 gallon is a tad small since this genus swims a good deal. I would get one of the smaller species (read below).

Do I need to buy a supermale or can I buy a small one and it will change.

A female will not change into a male in the absence of other conspecifics. A male will not change into a "super male" (what is commonly termed "displaying male") without females, and usually expereiences color fade rather then color gained in captivity.

How hardy are these wrasses?

Very.

Compatible tankmates?

All fishes that can not eat it. It may outcomplete docile fishes when feeding. People have reported (eg Scott Michaels) they're aggressive towards conspecifics, congeners, and other Labridae (wrasse family), but I have not experienced this myself. Been perfectly behaved fishes with ANY species IME.

Good or bad aspects of keeping them in a reef?

Good: They are long-lived, hardy, disease resistent, completely "reef safe," docile, aggresive feeders (can compete with any other fishes you have in the tank), and very colorful.

Bad: They're all jumpers, aggressive feeders (can outcompete timid species such as firefish)

Which of these species would you suggest?

All the species you've listed are great choices, and have roughly the same requirements (with the exception of Halichoeres melasmopomas). However, I'd recommend a C.solarenis for your size tank. These are one of the smaller Cirrhilabrus, and very very colorful.

Flasher wrasses (Genus Parachelinus) will also do. These remain very small, but they are timid and not quite as hardy as Cirrhilabrus sp. If you choose to go with Parachelinus, get one male to 3-4 females. P.carpenteri and P.filamentous are the two most readily available species.

Jacob1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. Any experince in keeping a female with a male? Any good sources for these wrasses?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept "mated" pairs, though in nature they occur in haremic groups (1 male to several females). Sometimes male and female conspecifics will fight, but this can be greatly alleviated if 1. you acquire two definately distinct sexes and 2. you introduce at the same time. For a 50 gallon, one Cirrhilabrus will just about do it.

Don't know of any special sources. I know www.themarinecenter.com has some of the less-frequently-seen species regularly, and www.marinedepotlive.com and www.ffexpress.com has the more common Cirrhilabrus (flames, blue sided, scotts, etc.) on a regular basis.

Humilis

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the follwoing wrasses in my reef tank:

Scott's fairy wrasse: got it from www.cquarium.com and they are on sale for $35.

Flame wrasse (about 2 years)
Flasher wrasse (Male)
Velvet Fairy wrasse (with an orange bar)

The above wrasses are OK even with clams, snails and hermit crabs.

I would stay away from Psychadelic Head, it will attack clams and other inverts.

jdeets

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Cirrhilabrus cyanopleura in my reef. A model reef citizen. He doens't cause any trouble with any of his tankmates and is always out at the front glass, especially at feeding time!
icon_smile.gif
Plus, I got him really cheap because the LFS couldn't identify the species so I got him for about 40% of retail.
icon_biggrin.gif

I haven't had any trouble with mine at all--he eats well and has never jumped. I do have a full canopy over my tank. I understand that your tank needs to be covered with these guys because they like to go carpet surfing.

A model reef citizen overall!

naesco

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same fish as jdeets and share his opinion.
A must have for every reef tank IMO.
The fairy wrasse is all personality.
Choose a healthy one free of blemishes.Make sure he is eating at the LFS if not pass.
He may hide for a couple of days so don't worry.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: