happyreefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.
icon_smile.gif

Does anyone have one of these dwarf angels? Are they reef compatible? And where can someone purchase one?

There doesn't seem to be too much information about them. Thanks.
icon_biggrin.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
happyreefer,

these guys are very expensive (>$500). During the 80's, they were relatively common. However, since the US uprooted it's military station in the Ascension islands (in the Atlantic between the Americas and Africa), extremely few specimen have been collected. They're a hardy, shallow water Centropyge species that is similar to C.acanthops in behavior and physiology. Like all Centropyges, they are not 100% reefsafe. Beautiful fish. Just don't expect to see one in your LFS (or even mail order). And if you are fortunate enough to find one, be prepared to pay hundreds.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoa! Prices are getting steeper!

Last time one was offered to me was for $750, though admittedly i get "good" prices. It's one thing to pay hundreds for a fish endemic to 100m depths; but I can't justify their current prices, seeing they aren't too hard to catch. This goes for a lot of "rare" fishes; beware of paying high price just because of limited distribution (if Red Sea fishes taught us anything).

happyreefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies guys.

Boy, that's a pretty steep price for the little suckers.
icon_eek.gif
It makes me want to take a vacation to the Ascension Islands with a fishing net. It's no wonder this hobby is a drain on my wallet.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'll stick with the Centropyge argii or acanthops for now.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: