jreef1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any color on it would be appreciated including compatability with reef/inverts (shrimp in particular)/other fish (inc. tangs). Thanks in advance.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Docile fish. Should not be kept with aggressive tankmates (Tangs included) unless tank is large. Not the best swimmer, and rather slow to react and defend itself. Best if in species specific tank.

Needs lots of big caves. During the day, it will either spend most of its time in shelter, or swim passively around the tank. Best kept in dimmer tanks, but can be acclimated to "reef light intensity" tanks. Has biolumninescent bacteria located on its cheeks; thought to serve as predation device during nocturnal hunts (either for observation or to lure prey).

Noctornal fish that feeds primarily on small crustaceans (shrimps included). Will probably not eat larger ornamental shrimps like cleaner shrimps. Will eat very small fishes if given the chance (not really a concern with the fishes available for the hobby). Special attention to feeding is necessary if tank does not have a healthy poputlation of crustacean infauna.

Grows to 6-7" Two species imported (currently, Cleidopus japonicus is what's available). From the Indopacific, at usually depth below 100 feet.

M.E.Milz

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see them at the LFS's in Chicago fairly regularly. By my recollection they usually run about $150.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on species. Cleidopus japonicus is historically more expensive then C.gloriamaris (I think its spelled correctly). I've seen C.japonicus go for as much as $499 and as little as $200. C.gloriamaris as little as $100. Depends on the species, season, collector, and demand.

max spl

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a couple yesterday.. they are AWESOME
icon_biggrin.gif
the pineapple fish has a luminescent organ inside its mouth that makes it glow. it's amazing watching the fish swim around at night as you can see two glowing spots near their mouth. they also make a grunting sound when they are lifted out of the water. very interesting fish
icon_smile.gif

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For reefkeeping, anywhere but the West coast is "on the wrong side of the country." Well, at least for Pacific species
icon_biggrin.gif

jreef1

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought one. Won't really come out during the day although I can tell by the mouthlights that he swims all over the place at night. Any ideas re feeding?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being nocturnal predators, it may be difficult or impossible to feed your specimen during daytime hours. My advice is to introduce live foods either at dusk/dawn (actinics on only), or lights out. Live foods can include the commonly available brine shrimp (artemia), or mysis shrimp. If mysis shrimps are not available, you can substitute freshwater glass/ghost shrimps. Be sure to feed sparingly at first until he's taken to his new diet. Afterwards, slowly wean it unto frozen and (if you're lucky) dry foods. If your tank's zooplankton population (copepods, amphipods, etc.) are heathly, supplemental feeding may be unncessary; just let it hunt.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: