passthesalt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get a pair of Banghai Cardinals. I have a 10g tank with only one firefish in it plus the usual live rock and 2 peppermint shrimp. Would the BC's be "happy" in a 10g? I give this consideration because they seem to be the sort of fish that don't need a great deal of swimming room. All the BC's that I have seen usually just hang around and don't move around much at all. I can move the firefish to another tank if necessary. Also, I understand that the sexes of these guys are indistinguishable. If I got two younger ones will one of them change sex if necessary to become a pair like clownfish??
Thanks in advance for any advice on these fish.
Lydia
icon_smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that they seem to just hang out in one favorite spot. I would imagine that 10 gallons would work as long as the water quality was maintained well.

They do not change sex like other marine fish. Adults have some subtle differences that are visible but I've never been able to tell the juveniles apart.

HTH

6_line

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I don't believe it would be a good idea to place two Banggai in a 10 gallon. Although they do usually just hover, they do enjoy swimming and cruising the tank upon occasion. Plus, they are sometimes difficult to sex and if you get two males or females, then the ruthless battling between the two would be horrible in such small confines. As mentioned, they don't 'morph' into different sexes as clownfish and some other fish do.
I'd think at least a 29 for such a combo.
Good Luck

FMarini

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I am in total agreement....
A 10 gal tank is way too small for a pair of "BANGGAI CARDINALS" (I point out the correct spelling in case you want to do a web search)
Adult banggais get around 3-4" and a 10 gal tank is much too restrictive, and yes even thou they do hover they also like to swim around. I would suggest to you that a 30gal tank be the minumum size you can put a pair of banggais in.
If you want to read more on raising and breeding banggai cards http://www.eparc.com/banggai/banggai.shtml
Sexing in juvenile banggais is next to impossible
my opinion
frank

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, If Frank says you need at least 30 gallons I'd not question it and disregard my post.

Frank knows his stuff!

Guy

passthesalt

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input Y'all. I have a 29 and 58 gal also so may go with one of those tanks instead. All are sparsley populated now so I do have the room. Still need to find a couple of nice fish that stay small to go in the 10 gal. May have to stick with firefish then. Thanks again for the help.
Lydia
icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: