jwtrojan44

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This gets kicked around a lot, moreso of late or so it seems. There are those who swear by the healing powers of garlic and say it can "cure" ich. Others, myself included, won't go so far as to say garlic is a cure, but rather serves as an immune booster which can help a fish fend off a case of the illness. In a lightly stocked, low stress environment, an otherwise healthy fish would have a fair shot at keeping the parasite at bay, with the use of garlic. I use it as a regular food soak a few times a week. I recently had a small purple tang that contracted a mild case of ich shortly after purchase. It was in quarantine at the time (a very good practice with any new fish, btw) and I treated it with hyposalinity. After introduction to the display tank, he got a regular diet with garlic additives and has not been sick since. Keep in mind that he was one of three fish in the tank, the other two being quite small. Personally, i would not rely on garlic to cure ich, although as stated, some folks say it does just that. Two proven methods of treating ich are hyposalinity and the use of copper-based medications, the former being the safest. I sometimes think those that only want to use garlic are not willing to expend the effort to properly quarantine and treat with proven methods, but that is only my opinion. On the other hand, garlic has a great reputation for repelling all sorts of things! We use it in our dog's food in the hot months and he is never bothered by flies. Our horses receive garlic supplements for the same reasons, and we even take garlic tablets prior to and during our camping/backpacking trips to fend off flies/ mosquitos, and other nasties. It does work in these instances so I'm not pooh-poohing it's benefits. I just won't go so far as to say it will cure ich.

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by md14fish:
<strong>Does anyone have any experience using garlic as an ick remedy ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you can get a copy of Marine Fish and Reef Annual 2002 you will find a feature article by myself on Cryptocaryon irritans (salt water ich)which discusses garlic and other cures. I believe that our sponsor Inland reef has copies for sale.

Keith and Lisa

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have been using garlic with our dogs and fish for about four years now. I put raw garlic right into into my fish food mix. I haven't seen a case of ich since then and my dogs haven't had fleas in that time either.

Garlic is a powerful herb and has been fed to all sorts of animals for centuries. Its uses and powers have been well documented. It is a natural antibiotic and immune system booster, helps prevent cancer, inhibits protazoan infections, expels tape worms, make animals less attractive hosts to parasites and prevents blood clotting.

Does it "cure" ich, I don't think so. I think what it does do is help the fish fight off secondary infections by boosting the immune system as well as making the fish less atractiveto the parasite in the first place. That being said, if your fish isn't eating then its entirely useless. I would then resort to hyposalinity or copper.

Keith

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: