Sandyreef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have had my Imperator in hypo salinity of 1.009 for 6 weeks. He had flukes bad when I received him MO and developed ick along with that. He was doing fine in the hypo was eating great, has increased in size and now I started to slowly increase the salinity over a 2 week period it is now only 1.022 and has a way to go to take it up to 1.024/025 before I can release him in his new home. I noted earlier this week that when the salinity reached 1.019 that he started having rapid gill movement, He is swimming very fast in place, visualize jogging in place, but he gets to where he wants to go. Almost reminds me of a pecula swimming except very fast. I can't really explain it. I have watched for white stringy stuff in his bowel movements indicating internal parasites but he doesn't have anything. Could this be from the hypo and am I increasing salinity to fast on him. Does this indicate a swimming disorder? I am totally at a loss on this. Seems like I have had him forever in the hospital tank.

I have excellent water quality on this tank as I am monitoring it constantly.

Running carbon in a canister filter changed weekly, sponge biofilter (taken out of my 155's refugium) hooked up to an airstone, maxijet pointed towards the surface. 30 gal tank. RO/DI water used. Changed 5 gals weekly same temp etc just to clean up any waste on the bare tank bottom.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Should I do a run of anitibiotics???????????

I definately don't want to do a freshwater dip on this Angel to see if he still has flukes since he had been at 1.009 for six weeks. That surely would have taken care of any residual flukes or ick wouldn't it? I tried that when I first got him and he developed ick from it. I use a refractometer for salinity and calibrate it once a month to make sure its right on.

Thanks ahead,
Sandy

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandy,

I think you're doing a terrific job trying to bring your angelfish back to health. I would lower the salinity to a level where it is comfortable for the fish again, and then try to again slowly raise it.

It is also possible that your angelfish has been permanently damaged by collection, shipping, drugs, whatever, and will not suvive whatever you do, but don't give up until you have to.

Sandyreef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry,

Thanks for replying. He is still eating well and seems to be acting more normal. Will give him another 24 hours and then start reducing salinity if he doesn't come out of this.

Regards,
Sandy

Sandyreef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry,

It has been a while since I had posted last and I am beginning to think that you were correct on my Imperator being damaged by chemicals ie. collection.

I have him in quarintine yet, still swims funny and moves his mouth, he eats but not like a young fish should eat. Feeding him morning before work, when I get home and before I retire for the night. He is getting skinnier and skinner. He also developed lymphocystis this last week due to increase of temp in the house, because hubby turned the air up while we were gone, but that is another story.

Wouldn't cyanide poisening have effected him earlier on. I have had him since the end of March.

Isn't there anything I can do for this little guy? :(

Thanks,
Sandy

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sandy,

It doesn't look like he/she will make it. If it eats and still is losing weight it is either damaged internal organs or internal parasites. Not much hope in either case. If it still eats and will eat flake food, only feed that --many more calories that way.

Sandyreef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry,

He/she loves flake food but have been trying to give a variety of frozen also, ie. clam,bloodworms,mysis,angel formula, soaked in Zoe or Selcon

If it is internal parasites is there something that can be mixed in the food to get rid of them?

This little imperator came with gill flukes, got ick and has been through so much.

Thankyou

Sandy

AF Founder

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that a company called Aquarium Pharmiceuticals makes a medication called pipzine, which is a an intestinal dewormer. Mix some with its food, and try that.

Sandyreef

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Terry,

Thank you. I got home from work and the Imperator was laying on his side. I nudged him and he took off swimming.

Doesn't look to good.

:(

Sandy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: