delbeek

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone familar with this fish?

yes... I am ... how about being more specific in your question, then maybe you'll get more responses. :D

Does Scott Michaels vist this formun?

No but Scott Michael does. :wink:

all right enough giving you a hard time ...

I assume you want to know what this fish is like in a reef tank ... it is a very peaceful fish that only gets a few inches in size at most, it has a very small mouth so needs finely chopped meaty foods like frozen mysis, chopped shrimp etc, it will also pick over your live rock for copepods and amphipods. They are VERY shy and reclusive and will be hard to find let alone see in a tank with a LOT of live rock in it. or large active fish. We have one (added in October 1998) in a 150 gallon reef tank with a loose stacking of live rock along the middle of the tank so you can see it weaving its way in and out of the rock ... not an open water fish by any stretch of the imagination! Also try www.fishbase.org for more info on any fish species.

Aloha!
JCD

Brad Gardner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all right enough giving you a hard time ...

Thanks!!! I can only take two jabs at a time. :wink:

I will assume you are THE J. Charles Delbeek. What an honor to have a renowned author and biologist respond to my question.

Anyway, yes mine is very shy, but he is coming out in the open more and more. He like to follow in perfect step with my firefish. He seems to mirror every movement of the firefish watching him with those big round eyes. It’s like he does not know how to be a fish and is learning from the firefish. :lol:

“it has a very small mouth so needs finely chopped meaty foods like frozen mysis”

What is the best way to finely chop meaty foods.

I used to live in Waikiki for three years. Really miss right now. Got down to low 40’s last night.

Thanks,

Brad

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use a food processor. To come out with a finer consistency, avoid using tougher fish meats such as rock cod. I like to use salmon as my fish spots them more and makes me easier in locating leftovers.

Brad Gardner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks danmhippo,

I am new at meaty foods so bear with me. Do you mean Salmon you can buy at a grocery store? Fresh? Frozen? Were can you get a food processor?

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most of cooking housewives should have a food processor. Or you can go to any stores selling cookware. I can't think of any national chain store now as my brain is dead right now being a southern californian waking up early in 50F room. My heater broke............

As for salmon, any thing is fine as long as the meat is not dehydrated (freezer burn, for example), relatively fresh. You can get them at any supermatket. To supplement it, add some shrimps, freshly shucked clam meat, and a couple leaves of spinach. You may need to add a few tsp of water to make it easier for your food processor to chop.

After everything comes to a consistency of your choice, place the glob into a zip lock bag. flatten it to get most of the air out. Freeze it. Break out a small piece to feed your fish as needed. Seafood like this is relished by most fish and corals in your tank.

Brad Gardner

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I am a single guy so I wouldn't know about housewives or cooking!! :D

being a southern californian waking up early in 50F room. My heater broke............

After living in Hawaii and moving here to Birmingham the low this morning was in the 40's.....not functioning very well today also

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: