badassapd

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just lost my hippo and powder tangs they where breeding heavy then over night lost color then had got two or three white spots and a little slimy and died what the hell happened. The water is good all around i even had animal kingdom test it just to be sure.??? Very upset the hippo tang i got on Saturday along with a coral beauty now the coral beauty might be going out too... Its not ick i did a water change Sunday ..the tank is about 2 months old and have not had any problems till todays black day...:letitallo:dead1:
Helpppppppppppp

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
when u bring ur water to be tested to a LFS i dont think there is much luck for the fish... the test kits that the lfs use are crap...

I would say your fish had a parasite or 2 or 3

and by any chance did u buy ur fish from animal kingdom cause i was in there today and there fish looked sick.... coral beauty was spazzing out and another example was a clown tang that had so much potential was scrawny and sickly looking....

badassapd

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
no but there fish did look sick. i use api test kit what is a better one to use i have a nice set up i have a ro di unit i can not see what is up errrrrrr .So i should just leave everything alone and just watch..

badassapd

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
ph is 8.0 temp 80 everything else was low i am running a 72 gallon with 25 gal sump with coralife super 220 gallon protein skimmer 2 1200 maxi jets 150 pounds live rock 80 live sand cf coralife lights
i am new to this hobby

nikko6nv

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yeah, I agree with tony, I was there yesterday also and those hippos all had ick on them.:( You might want to QT any other fish that might have parisites, or may be acting unusual. best of luck.

taat2d

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
His fish didn't have ich. Positively. They had like a cottony type of fungus. I know. I played coronor.:bigeyes: Also when we tested the nitrates they came up over 15mg/l on the test chart.

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
what the hell happened.
  • Highly unlikely water is good all around at only 2 months old
  • You didn't quarantine
  • An RO/DI unit doesn't guarantee good water parameters
  • Overstocked a new tank
  • Water changes don't cure Ich
  • You're new to the hobby
  • There's probably more, but you haven't stated what other fish are in the tank

Last edited:

bad coffee

Inept at life.
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I'm going to jump in here and ask you what have you learned from this experience?

We've all lost fish, corals, and other animals. It is just part of having a tank. When we learn HOW we could have prevented the deaths, and not go through the same 'mistakes,' is when we succeed in this hobby.

We know from the posts here:

Your tank is young. 2 months and you have how many fish?

You didn't quarantine your fish. I'd also guess you didn't research what your fish need. Both in terms of tank mates and minimum aquarium size.

Your nitrates are high. (not devastatingly high, but they should be well under 15mg/l) Which makes me think your tank isn't completely cycled.

If you're using Aquarium Pharmacuticals test kits, you need better ones. Most people here use Salifert. They're the best bang-for-the-buck kits.

And from two other people's review of the livestock, they could have been sick when you brought them home. Had you set up a QT tank you would not have contaminated your display tank.

So, what have you learned?

B

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I am so very sorry for your losses. I am sorry that you put money into these animals and time and possibly love as well already.

I hope that if you decide to continue, you read through these posts on your thread and realize that all the folks here want very much to help you, and to ensure the health of your pets.

In my experience, there are two keys to success in this hobby - they are patience and research. Be patient with yourself, with all of us advice-givers, and with the time it takes for your tank to mature. And just as we "measure twice, cut once," so also we have to read, read, read before we buy, buy, buy.

I hope you stick with it, and i hope you stick with MR as well.

Best of luck!!!

-daisy

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: