1UCKY

Niko's Dad
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
My Sohal Tang has come up with Cottonmouth. My question is, is this contagious? Currently have a 180 FOWLR. What's a good remedy? Tried catching him to put in quarantine but it's just impossible with all the Live Rocks I have in there.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
This is not advice! Please wait for those that know more concerning this disease.

Just wanted to let you know that the (only survivor from the swf.com fiasco a few months back) red sea sailfin had cotton mouth I knew I wasn't going to be able to catch him so I let nature take it's course. I continued with regular weekly w/c, feeding as normal which includes garlic & vitamins and different types of food. Happy to say no one else got it, and the sailfin is fine. Just my 2 cts. worth.
Happy reefing!:starfish:

See, that's what I was talking about. While I was typing Marrone chimed in, and his advice I would take.

reefman

Chairman of the board
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
This is not advice! Please wait for those that know more concerning this disease.

Just wanted to let you know that the (only survivor from the swf.com fiasco a few months back) red sea sailfin had cotton mouth I knew I wasn't going to be able to catch him so I let nature take it's course. I continued with regular weekly w/c, feeding as normal which includes garlic & vitamins and different types of food. Happy to say no one else got it, and the sailfin is fine. Just my 2 cts. worth.
Happy reefing!:starfish:

See, that's what I was talking about. While I was typing Marrone chimed in, and his advice I would take.
it may be lymphocystis. sometimes disease n parasites ,etc r very hard to differentiate. thats y is always good to provides a good pic.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
There is a good chance that the fungus is a secondary infection to something that might be bacterial in nature, as fungus is rarely a disease in and of itself. It's cause usually lies elsewhere.

You really need to get him out of the tank & into a QT.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I don't think it's lymphocystis as that usually is on the fins and doesn't cause a fish to breath hard. It's also more common in Angel and butterfly.

A picture at this point would help to get a better idea of what the fish has.

If it is Cotton Mouth you really need to get the fish out of the tank and treat it. I don't think it's cotton mouth, as that's pretty rare in marine fish and you would have had to introduce it some how. It's probably some sort of bacteria infection.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
But what if he can't be caught? Do you have another suggestion? Or is that it?
I guess I was just lucky.:bigeyes:

First you need to ID what it really is. Then from there you can determine the treatment. If he can't get the fish out he'll need to treat the whole tank. Depending on what the fish has he may have no choice but to remove it and treat it that way, even if he has to take the tank apart to get the fish out.

1UCKY

Niko's Dad
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Here's a PIC. Hope this helps.

CIMG1776.JPG

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
It's hard to tell but it looks like some sort of fungus on the mouth. You really need to get the fish out of the tank before it spreads to any other fish. At that point you can treat with one of the medicine for fungus that I mention above or see if the LFS has something that treats fungus.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'll try to catch him but as you already know, I have over 200LBS of Live Rock in there. I was thinking of doing a major water changetonight. I have Melafix; I hear this is good for treating fungus and what not?

I'd listen to Marrone if I were you! My sailfin only had one spot, and never had a gaping mouth like that.
What ever it takes, or be prepared to loose everyone in the tank. Stubborness doesn't always pay. I lost everything in a 75 do to an ick outbreak that I couldhave avoided by simply setting up a qt.
And I have a permanent QT now, ready for anything...:fight2:

Best wishes...

Last edited:

1UCKY

Niko's Dad
Rating - 100%
128   0   0
Sadly, the Sohal passed on to fish heaven last night. I managed to catch him last night and put him in the hospital tank and treated him with some medication. I woke up this morning only to find him dead:frown:. Whatever it was that he had killed him instantly. I'm about to do a major water change on my system.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: