• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
You shouldn't have bought it if it wasn't eating. Ribbon Eels are hard to get to eat, not to mention that you need to make sure you tank has plenty of rocks, for hiding spaces, and has a good lid, as Ribbons will climb out of the tank.

Try feeding it pieces of krill, small fish or small shrimp on a stick. Try feeding live ghost shrimp if you can get them. If the eel wouldn't eat from the stick your best bet is to leave some food on the bottom of the tank or live ghost shrimp. Hopefully the eel will start to eat. It's very hit on miss, the only good thing it that they can go for quite a while without eating.

You may also want to keep the light down or off until the eel settles in, not to mention most eels hunt at night.

Last edited:

animalhouse

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i didn't mean to get the eel. it was sent to us as an "extra" when i did a bulk order from Indonisa. gotta say he pretty. i haven't try ghost shrimp yet, i try just about everything else.

Breezp

Reef Geek
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
when i worked at the pet store we would get ribbon eels all the time, some would eat and then others wouldnt. The ones that did eat though did not eat for about the first two weeks, they need alot of hiding spots such as rock or even pvc piping. We used to have a long set of tongs and would feed the eel silverslides. But before feeding we would soak the silverslides in a cup or container of water with some of kents "garlic extreme" and the garlic would usually work. Try that, if all else fails..... pray. lol good luck.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: