• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a male of Parachilinus hemitaeniatus in South Africa. Photo courtesy by a famous diver Dennis King.

It ranges Madagascar and South African coast, but seems very rare in the range. It has very long tail tips, and half bands on the orange-brown background on body. No filament on dorsal fin. It has never appeared in aquarium trade.

Attachments

• P.hemitaeniatus, male in exciting, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.jpg
    P.hemitaeniatus, male in exciting, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,843

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paracheilinus bellae, Bell's Flasher Wrasse, male, 50mm SL, 80mmTL, from the Marshalls.

Phot by Dr. John E. Randall (holotype)

It is recorded from the Marshalls (Kwajalein), Palau and recently also photographed at Iriomote-jima, southern Ryukyu Islands (Japan). It may be found also between these islands someday.

The male has very long filamentous tips on caudal fin, several filaments on dorsal fin, and also fine dots on side. It seems close to P. filamentosus that co-exists in Palau, and also to P. cyaneus from Indonesia.

A rarely imported species and its price usually is very expensive.

Attachments

• Bellae50mm80mmJack.jpg
    Bellae50mm80mmJack.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 2,811

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is Paracheilinus piscilineatus, male, from Mauritius. We call it the "Elegent Flasher Wrasse".

It is known only from the island in spite of great effort by many divers. It is a rare species and can merely be seen a single specimen per three to four years (in Japanese market).

It has a peculiar curved line on side in males, no filaments on dorsal fin, etc.

:arrow: Help me! I am still gathering the photos of this species and do you aquarists have any ?

Attachments

• Pis.jpg
    Pis.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 2,907

Hiroyuki Tanaka

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Kenya specimen of Paracheilinus attenuatus, male, 70mm.

It is rarely seen in market and commanding a high price, but will be a nice addition to any aquarium.

It may reach 8cm or more and ranges the Seychelles and the coast of Kenya. Males have a single, narrow filament on D fin like P. mccoskeri and a distinct rhomboid caudal fin as narrated above.

Attachments

• ParaAtteFB.jpg
    ParaAtteFB.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 2,411

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wanted Paracheilinus piscilineatus. We never ever see them here in the US though.

waterfaller1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hiroyuki Tanaka":28jf9qvo said:
This is Paracheilinus piscilineatus, male, from Mauritius. We call it the "Elegent Flasher Wrasse".

?
Wow what a gorgeous fish! I just added P. McCoskeri last evening. 8)

waterfaller1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First couple of pics, not so good. But he was obviously looking at himself in the first pic

new10407015.jpg

then in the next..I caught a glimpse of his color.
new10407016.jpg

I will work on some better shots when my camera charges back up.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: