• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Is there a recommended way to wean a sailfin tang off frozen foods?
I brought a really colorful jr sailfin tang last week, so far it has only eaten frozen foods which has become a pain since I can't be home all the time to feed it.

Any recommendations as to some methodology to getting this fish to eat flakes like everyone of its tankmates? Reason why timing is kinda critical is I'll be going away in 3 weeks, so this fish basically has that time to learn about flake foods.

Last edited:

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Just stop feeding frozen food and when there is nothing else the Sailfin will start to eat it. Sailfin are very hardy fish and usually aren't picky, so you shouldn't have a problem getting it to change over. It will also start to pick algae off of the rocks so even if it doesn't eat the flake right away it will be ok, just watch that it doesn't get thin. You may also want to try Spectrum pellets as most fish just can't get enough of them.

On a side note flake food isn't a good enough diet for tangs, even spirulina flake.

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Thanks for the info Mike, I usually feed my feed my fish quite a varied diet of frozen foods (my freezer contains more fish food than human). Just needed a crutch to get me past the 2 weeks I'll be away. The sailfin is definitely picking algae off the rocks, I'm just concerned like you said about the possibility of it getting too thin while I'm away.

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
Thanks for the info Mike, I usually feed my feed my fish quite a varied diet of frozen foods (my freezer contains more fish food than human). Just needed a crutch to get me past the 2 weeks I'll be away. The sailfin is definitely picking algae off the rocks, I'm just concerned like you said about the possibility of it getting too thin while I'm away.

Yes my freezer has more fish food than human too :biglaugh:

I would try the Spectrum pellets, fish do seem to really love them, even triggers. You can even put them in fish feeder too.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Do you guys thinks it's inappropriate to just get the small pellets since everyone can easily eat them and digest faster? Or is it better to get larger pellets if the fish is larger?

Always wondered about this.

R

marrone

The All Powerful OZ
Staff member
Vendor
Rating - 98.8%
80   1   0
I have very large fish and I get Spectrum Thera A, regular size, and my fish don't have any problems eating them whole. Also if you get the larger sizes most fish will pick at them and break them into smaller pieces. I'm not sure size will matter in the digesting process, as the food breaks up pretty easy, especially when it get wet.

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yeah!!!
My sailfin tang is finally eating flake foods - specifically Ocean Nutrition formula 2.
Also it had a total distaste for the Spectrum brand food??????
:scratch:

Last edited:

inline6

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Sharn, nori on a clip is the best for your sailfin. You can leave during the day for it to munch on.

Good luck,
Steven

Yes, I agree. I'll be leaving for 2 weeks in July and just needed to get it to feed on the flake foods beforehand (via my autofeeder).
I really like this fish, extremely colorful and brings out the other shy fish in my reef. I still give it a whole smogasboard of frozen vegie foods 4x a week.
He's becoming one fat healthy fish, already he's giving my hippo tang a run for the alpha fish status.

Sorry bout the crappy pic.

Sharn

Attachments

• tang.jpg
    tang.jpg
    219.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: