• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Darkbaron1192

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there,

I have a red scooter blenny (Synchiropus stellatus) that has some kind of disease behind its fins, forward of the caudal peduncle area on the right-hand side. The pictures below are of the best quality that my camara can take, and I understand it is not good at all. It looks as if it might be a fungus, and little bits of sand are embedded in this outgrowth. I can compare it to looking like a velvety sac hanging off from the side of the fish.

I dont want to subject the fish to un-necessary medications, I have it quarantined at the moment, and am just looking for some advice on steps to take. I was doing my weekly water change today and just noticed this problem as it may have developed within the last 3 days. before then, the fish had no problems.

I have used PimaFix before to treat fungus in freshwater aquariums with success, but the fungus was absolutely identifiable as such. Can I use this product for the fish, or is it not recommended? What are some recommendations to deal with this problem before it goes out of control?

DSC00937.jpg

Spot in question is centered in middle of image, clearly visible outgrowth.
DSC00933.jpg

Although blurred, the affected area is the *entire* lighter-colored area with the 4 white spots. This is not the fishes' markings.
DSC00934.jpg

Darkbaron1192

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, it is deceased. followup pictures:

Note red affected area
DSC00939.jpg

round thing at top of picture is skin thing that I was describing earlier.
DSC00940.jpg

R.I.P. little scooter[/img]

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell from that last picture but the round thing looks suspiciously like a parasitic isopod.

Regards,
David Mohr

develliers

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is most unfortunate, there are some places where I have seen people have an in-depth knowledge of the upkeep of an aquarium but then there are places too where there isnt any proper knowledge at all, for instance if I had found this place earlier then my precious collections might have been saved by getting the tips from here, alas its too late now!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: