Fish_dave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a few pics of two interesting tangs. Both came in at the same time.

Dave

Attachments

• mottled tang 1.jpg
    mottled tang 1.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 2,124
  • mottled tang 2.jpg
    mottled tang 2.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 2,127
  • mottled tang 3.jpg
    mottled tang 3.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 2,123

2OceanLovers

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That tang looks like he is about to die. Do you know what species it is supposed to be? I have seen some yellow tangs mottled with white.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most tangs look like that (like they're going to die) fresh out of the bag from the field ;)

Fish_dave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was holding the camera in the water and they were pretty freaked out about it. The cubes that they were in were scratched and the camera kept wanting to focus on the acrylic so I put my hand and camera in the water and the tangs did not like it. They were both fine and sold right away.

Dave

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure they where snatched up rather quickly knowing your customers :D

myerst22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Though I am a rare fish nut, those tang morphs don't do anything for me. Where are those "dirty" tangs found? How much do they wholesale for usually? What Zebrasoma are they considered? Thanks Tim

A

Anonymous

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Knowing Dave I doubt he'll post the wholesale price ;) I wouldn't either :D

Fish_dave

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have received this type of oddly colored tangs from several different locations. The most common place for me to get them is from the Island of Sumatra in Indonesia, they seem to be fairly regularly available from there in small numbers. I have also received a few from Tahiti and the Solomons. I had one come in from Cebu in the Philippines. Some are prettier than others, some are "dirty looking" like these, others are mostly all yellow and white and are quite good looking.

They are not a zebrasoma species but are generally some type of acanthurus.

Your local fish store should be able to get you a price on something similar.

Dave

myerst22

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the pics and the info on the fish. Many of these tangs with those dirty patterns look like zebrasomas, not acan. Thanks for the info and locales in which they are caught. As far LFS, those days are behind me. Very rarely will I pay the price, which usually is never the issue. Issue being is that the husbandry skills and the condition the fish are kept. Tim

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: